I can't update packages and applications

Dont do that.

Its all in the announcements.

4 Likes

This is a ‘running joke’.

Every update thread includes the comment that you should RTFT before posting…

It’s a VERY good idea to have an RSS alert for that thread, so that you’ll probably read about the update FIRST from the thread alert before it syncs through to your system update.

24 days ago :wink:

There was even some package that poped up the update thread near the clock. But it is actually not needed. What i do is when pamac pops up the notification for update, i just open the forum myself before hitting update. It is not that hard to do it once a month.

But the last couple of posts illustrate why is it problematic for the “Average Joe” to update year old installations. I told him to read the announcements and instead he replied with “problem” and a self made “solution” for something that was in the very current announcement. Now multiply that “problems” by 20…

1 Like

I never read them and things are fine.

But … I’m also comfortable booting into runlevel 3 if needed … and I am familiar with pacnews and the other requirements of system maintenance.

The thing is a lot of users neglect to understand, let alone practice, good operational standards for the system in use.

OP here is a perfect example of fundamental misunderstandings resulting in the (false) perception of “manjaro being broken” or even “manjaro is unstable” in general.

Any tool will perform poorly if used improperly.
“This spoon is really bad at cutting leather.”

System Maintenance - Manjaro

System maintenance - ArchWiki

Particularly incisive snippets for our context here:

5 Likes

I tried to run it with the usual “-y” for me, but it doesn’t work for pacman, apparently)

If only I knew this team earlier)))
However, I don’t see anything wrong with renaming. Moreover, my wife’s laptop is the machine on which I can conduct my experiments, up to and including a complete reinstallation. No critical information…

In fact, I am a fan of Manjaro and did not give up when I could not update, even after 4 attempts, and believed that I would still find a solution.
It didn’t seem broken or unstable to me. I understood that the problem was in me, and not in the system itself. However, you still subconsciously ask yourself the question: “If I were an ordinary grandmother living in a village where the Internet is very weak, would I be able to use GNU/Linux.” The obvious answer is no, because even with 2024 approaching, Linux is difficult for newbies compared to you-know-what OSes.
And it’s not just about package updates/upgrade strategy or any one thing. In general, the Linux OS and everything connected with it without a proper understanding of this system is quite difficult. Roughly speaking, without a grandson, the grandmother will not be able to use her computer. And the grandson will have to experience some difficulties with updates, since he does not often come to grandma.
I love GNU/Linux and sincerely wish that it becomes more intuitive for all users, more stable and more widespread in the world.

I guess you didn’t read it the first time it was posted, so here it is again. :wink: :point_down:

Read++

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.