i can't understand how to make a hhd my game drive (steam)

trying to make my hhd the drive that holds things like games, pics etc. i formatted it with Gparted to ext4 and its mounted but i still can't save games there. From what I read its a root ownership thing. the only thing there is a lost and found folder(seen post saying to delete it and some saying not not to) if anyone can help me with this its most appreciated .

Create a directory on the drive with sudo:

sudo mkdir /mount-point/name-of-dir

(obviously, replace /mount-point with the full path where the drive is mounted, and name-of-dir with how you want this directory named).

Then change the ownership of that directory to your user's account:

sudo chown your-username:your-username /mount-point/name-of-dir

(again, replace your-username with your username, for example, in my case it would be: kresimir:kresimir, and provide the appropriate path to the directory)

Now your user account should be able read and write into this directory, without using sudo.

2 Likes

alright thanks ill let you know if it works

sudo mkdir /run/media/carmilla/Fugo
guessing this is the right file path

Looks good to me, but only you know where where you mounted your drive, so double check.

1 Like

i got this mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/media/carmilla/Fugo’: File exists. is it referring to the lost and found folder?

The first thing you must realize is that in GNU/Linux, applications are integrated into the system, and so you cannot install applications on a different drive like in MS-Windows. Windows is volume-oriented, whereas GNU/Linux, like all UNIX systems, approaches things from the perspective of a uniform directory hierarchy.

Now, you could of course choose to put documents on a different drive ─ that's a different thing, even though this is once again not how you're supposed to do it, because every user is supposed to put their documents in their home directory.

That all said, you say that the other drive is mounted. So where is it mounted, and what are the permissions on that directory? without knowing any details, you could try the following...

(Presuming that the drive is mounted at /data and that your user account is "jimmy" ─ change this in the commands below as required)

sudo chown -R jimmy:jimmy /data && sudo chmod 755 /data
1 Like

Is Fugo the name of the directory you're trying to create?

1 Like

yeah and for agagorn its on /run/media/carmilla/Fugo (i think)
and then this? sudo chown -R carmilla:carmilla /data && sudo chmod 755 /data

No need to chmod, if it's an empty directory you've just made.

1 Like

theres a lost and found folder it made by itsself

Forget about lost+found, it has nothing to do with any of this. Next to that lost+found you should make a new directory (or three), where you'll keep your stuff. sudo mkdir command above does that.

1 Like

oh ok

i dont have the pers. and sorry its been said how to fix that already i suck at linux and when using sudo chown -R carmilla:carmilla /data && sudo chmod 755 /data i got no file or directory exist the owner is root btw sorry forgot to say

Don't copy commands literally. data in the command @Aragorn gave you is just a placaholder name. You need to provide it the correct names.

Try this. Open that drive in Dolphin. Hit F4. There should be a terminal panel on the bottom, and the prompt should be the mount point of that directory. If all of that is true, type in this:

sudo mkdir Data

1 Like

No, it's referring to the directory itself. But /run is not the right place for that, because the contents of /run only exist in virtual memory, so that means that the mountpoint will be gone once you power down the computer. You have to create a permanent mountpoint for it ─ e.g. /data ─ and then add a record for that in /etc/fstab. That way, it'll always be mounted at the same place after booting.

Here's how to do it, step by step...

sudo mkdir /data
sudo chown carmilla:carmilla /data
sudo nano /etc/fstab

You will now be looking at an editor with the file /etc/fstab in it. Now, assuming that the drive you seek to mount is /dev/sdb1 ─ change this to the correct device special file ─ you add a line to the file as follows...

/dev/sdb1   /data   ext4  auto,nofail,defaults   0   0

Then you save the file with Ctrl+O and you exit the editor with Ctrl+X.

Now mount your drive at /data, like so...

sudo mount --bind /run/media/carmilla/Fugo /data
sudo umount /run/media/carmilla/Fugo
3 Likes

Okay, you take over, please, we can't both give him conflicting guides.

2 Likes

ok did that and got a data folder in there now.
Aragorn im i doing the right thing with kresimir? im pertty sure im doing the right thing from both but want to make sure Edit thanks for helping Kresimir me and Aragorn will get it done. Here's how to do it, step by step...

sudo mkdir /data
sudo chown carmilla:carmilla /data
sudo nano /etc/fstab

You will now be looking at an editor with the file /etc/fstab in it. Now, assuming that the drive you seek to mount is /dev/sdb1 ─ change this to the correct device special file ─ you add a line to the file as follows...

/dev/sdb1   /data   ext4  auto,nofail,defaults   0   0

Then you save the file with Ctrl+O and you exit the editor with Ctrl+X</kbd.

Now mount your drive at /data , like so...

sudo mount --bind /run/media/carmilla/Fugo /data
sudo umount /run/media/carmilla/Fugo

should i do this in the alt f4 term that is in dolphin or?

Yes, but like he said, it's going to get confusing if we're both trying to help you at the same time, with the both of us offering different ways of doing it. So as per @kresimir's advice, I'm going to try and handle things here on my own. :wink:

Do you understand what I've been trying to say so far? And do you know what the device special file is for the new drive? Issue the following command to find out...

mount | grep carmilla

We need to see the output of that command, and then I will repeat ─ step by step ─ how you can make this into a permanent mountpoint. :wink:

2 Likes

thanks and /dev/sdb1 on /run/media/carmilla/Fugo type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)

You can do it there, yes. Or you can click up a separate Konsole window if you like and do it all there. In fact, that might be easier, because it's bigger. :wink:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by