I can't switch to free graphics drivers

i3

When I installed the distro I selected the non-free drivers, but I have some tearing, besides that the Catalyst Configuration Center does not open, if I try to open it from the terminal I get

amdcccle: error while loading shared libraries: libQtGui.so.4: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory`

So I wanted to switch to free drivers to see my performance. I uninstalled catalyst with sudo mhwd -r pci video-catalyst and installed the free drivers with sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300. When restarting I got an error that says

[FAILED]: Failed to start Light Display Manager

so I had to enter the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + F2) and return to catalyst.

Does anyone know what this error is due to and how can I install the free drivers? or how can I open catalyst to change the settings? Thanks.

Support for the Catalyst driver has been dropped. They have been deprecated.

This worked. I did not know that catalyst had been discontinued, until a few months ago I used it in XFCE. With the free drivers the tearing was solved besides the animations are more smooth. Thanks!

Awesome, so glad that fixed things up for you.

that should not work as there is no video-ati in mhwd anymore. Now it is called video-linux.
Glad that it worked anyway.

Edited the linked post to display the current working mhwd command.

Edit: @philm it seems that now the catalyst control center is broken due to changes in Qt.

I assume he figured that out if used the outdated command. Thanks for updating your post.