I can't open the themes menu for Cinnamon

After getting fed up with KDE, I decided to install Cinnamon on my system (because that's what I was used to use on Mint and loved), but one problem. Sometimes, the text onscreen would be nearly the same color as the background, making it very hard to see. So, I tried to open the settings application and open "Themes" to attempt to solve this problem, but one fatal flaw: NOTHING HAPPENS. I opened the settings application again in the terminal, and this time, when I click on the Themes part, I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 672, in button_press
    self.side_view_nav(widget, None, category)
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 176, in side_view_nav
    self.go_to_sidepage(cat, filtered_path, user_action=True)
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 191, in go_to_sidepage
    sidePage.build()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/SettingsWidgets.py", line 213, in build
    self.module.on_module_selected()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_themes.py", line 118, in on_module_selected
    widget.sync_initial_switch_state()
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/CinnamonGtkSettings.py", line 194, in sync_initial_switch_state
    if editor.get_declaration(self.selector, decl_name):
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/CinnamonGtkSettings.py", line 114, in get_declaration
    rs = self.get_ruleset(selector)
  File "/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/bin/CinnamonGtkSettings.py", line 105, in get_ruleset
    if rs.selector.as_css() == selector_css:
AttributeError: 'ImportRule' object has no attribute 'selector'

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?! I don't even have a cinnamon-settings folder in my /usr/share/cinnamon folder! Just "cinnamon-settings-daemon" and "cinnamon-settings-daemon-3.0"!

I can confirm that the folder (usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings) exists on my Manjaro Cinnamon. Why it does not exist on your machine is beyond my expertise.

I just installed the Cinnamon desktop on my KDE-shipped distro! Do I have to re-install the Cinnamon community edition and re-install ALL OF MY APPLICATIONS?! :scream:

I am pretty sure that I have read warnings about having multiple DE:s on the same machine, but it might be fixable. You'll have to wait for someone more competent than me :slight_smile:

Never mind! I just found the cinnamon-settings folder! I was just looking in the wrong place! :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

But still, I need help with trying to open the "Themes" menu! Do I have to re-install anything?!?!!? :scream:

Do you have a file called ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css? If yes, try to rename it - to something like gtk.css_BAK - and logout/login to see if this makes any difference.

If this doesn't solve your problem, rename the file back to gtk.css.

Forum kindly sponsored by