I can't log in after installing lightdm (SOLVED)

As I’ve said before… YouTube How To videos are mostly useless.

lightdm is not light-locker (which you have a problem with) and it is not the lightdm-webkit2-greeter which was a culprit here
it works just fine and ain’t dead

Hi, I changed “greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter” to “greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter”, but nothing has changed when I enter the password and press enter the program does not respond.

I had you revert what was done in the video, and you said you did what was done in the video.
And I installed that greeter myself to confirm - and reverted it because it did not work.

At least the greeter, the login screen, should now be looking and behaving as it was before you changed that.
Is it?

Lets see what is actually in your configuration file for lightdm:

grep -v ^# /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

This will only print the lines that are not starting with a # mark
the uncommented lines - the ones which are not default.

You have uninstalled lightdm-wbkit2-greeter and deleted the config file /etc/lightdm/lightdm-webkit2-greeter.conf ?

and you have installed lightdm-gtk-greeter and lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings ?
You are shure not having old config files left ?

This is the default:

light-locker
lightdm
lightdm-gtk-greeter
lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

This is link of screen

drive .google.com/file/d/1rz30F6NXeibohS-jNaPHqTpH1LykHkwD/view?usp=drivesdk

(When I try to post a link I get message - “Sorry, you can’t include links in your posts.”)

No i have not uninstalled and deleted, but I installed lightdm-gtk-greeter without lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings.

I just deleted the lightdm-webkit2-greeter.conf

After removing lightdm-webkit2-greeter.conf from /etc/lightdm/ , my screen is blinking

You still have the wrong greeter in your file

look:
greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter

is what I read there

you did not change it back to

greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

No, I changed it

drive .google.com/file/d/1s0LMB2uAscog1D9hDIGUC35-TpniEB56/view?usp=drivesdk

You change it in a comment starting with # which effectively gets ignored.

Use your arrow keys and scroll down.

1 Like

Sorry for my mistake. I fixed it and everything works fine. Thanks very much :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry for my mistake. I fixed it and everything works fine. Thanks very much :slightly_smiling_face:.

My mistake. I meant “light-locker” is not maintained for more than 3 years

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.