I can't find a graphics driver for AMD Ryzen 5 with Vega RX 8

So, after succesfully getting Manjaro to boot on my new computer by using kernel 4.15 and setting amdgpu.dc=1 to my boot parameters, i noticed that sometimes it doesn’t boot and i get like 20 acpi errors.

But Manjaro is using video-vesa for my gpu driver and that’s really what i’m worried about right now. I have Ryzen 5 2500u with vega rx 8 graphics. How do I get the right driver? :confused: I have never had an amd computer before ><

What is marked as installed in Manjaro Settings Manager -> Hardware Detection?

It says:

Unknown device name (ATI Technologies INC)

What about inxi -G?
@Tids might know what’s up.

Resuming in non X mode: xdpyinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega [Radeon Vega 8 Mobile]
           Display Server: N/A driver: modesetting tty size: 80x24

okay so apparently video-vesa wasn’t installed. i went ahead and installed it and now the OS won’t load at all. so I’m going to reinstall the OS for now and just leave it alone lol.

This is hardware that has only just been released so support will only happen in the latest kernel versions. If you’re on stable then you’ve got 4.15.0, which is a very early kernel in that series. Switch up to testing or unstable to get the latest in the series and see if that helps.

4.16 is rumoured to have better support for it.
It got an rc1 release a few days ago, but it’s not in Manjaro yet.

Actually, the 2500U got released in October 2017.

You might be confusing with the desktop SKUs that have just been released yesterday.

Said this, anyway this is still quite edgy hardware, so my best recommendation would be trying amd-staging kernel.

quoting myself from here as that might also help you solve your problems, those are the parts that have specific fixes for the newest Ryzen and Vega chips:

mesa 18.0 will be released this month, and 4.16 already has RC1, so my guess is that it will be available in unstable in the next days.

For mesa, you can of course also use mesa-git from AUR or from the repo, but it is highly experimental as it is from the active development branch of 18.1 or even later.

In addition: @Tids could it be that you need to update the mhwd config files for the new Vega chips?

His problems seem more kernel related than userspace.

I dont know. They need to be in the pciid-file for a longer time. But yea, a rebuild of the amdgpu module for mhwd would be good

@dwemerscholar could you post the output of

lspci -nnk | grep "VGA\|'Kern'\|3D\|Display" -A2 

So I can look into this to have support in mhwd for it?

and video-vesa would be really bad…

yeah, sorry it took me so long. I just now got home and reinstalled Manjaro.
Anyways, here is is:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Radeon Vega 8 Mobile [1002:15dd] (rev c4)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Radeon Vega 8 Mobile [103c:83c6]
	Kernel driver in use: amdgpu

I think so too. If I can’t solve this then I’ll just wait until 4.16 comes out :slight_smile: I don’t want to bother everyone too much ><

You don’t have to wait buddy.
Just fire https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-amd-staging-drm-next-git/

just uninstall vesa in mhwd and make sure KMS will get loaded after a restart… while not supported in mhwd, it should be supported in linux 4.15.

that AMD staging kernel is definitely outdated. Last Updated: 2017-12-05 16:37
it misses a whole lot of security fixes, especially meltdown and spectre.

And it also does not contain all the bugfixes that went into 4.15’s amdgpu DC and won’t contain all the work that is merged into 4.16.

amd-staging-kernel was great while DC was not mainlined, but now it is obsolete.

yeah i just noticed that too ><

so if i were to install an RC release kernel, would i still be able to use my system as i would on a fully released one? i’m thinking about trying this https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-ryzen-git/

Looks like anyone who want to build a new box with the new Ryzen APU would be well advised to wait a few more months for the 4.16.x kernel and newest drivers to be rolled in.

Mike over at Phoronix had some issues getting this to work.