I am on Windows 10 and can't create the bootable USB with manjaro on it

Hello! I had try to write a bootable USB with rufus with eatcher with easy2boot - nothing helps :frowning: After the usb was written I tried to boot from it but there is only the GRUB title on the left top and no the grub menu. Why it’s too hard? How I can make bootable usb?

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:!
When using Rufus, did you write the Image in ISO Mode or DD Mode?
Because for Manjaro, you have to use DD Mode, if you use ISO mode it won’t work.

Just use dd: Burn an ISO File - Manjaro

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sd[drive letter] status=progress oflag=sync

1 Like

or install ventoy and throw all iso you want to boot with into it and call it a day

4 Likes

switch to folder where you have extracted ventoy:

Install ventoy to the USB disk:
sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -i /dev/sdX

copy the .iso file (s) to the USB drive. Ventoy can handle multiple .iso

Yes I had read about it! But there is no so functions! There is only warning that usb will be erased but no dd mode.

I’m from Win 10.

I will try this way! Thank you!

1 Like

Shouldn’t you then ask on M$ community sites how to create a bootable ISO on a USB, instead of on a Linux community?
You can only expect solution to be performed on Linux here, not how to do that in M$…

Here is a page to help you nonetheless:

PS: I changed the category of the thread also :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to agree with @TriMoon’s comment as whilst we’d like to help, it must be noted that many on here (including myself) are unfamiliar with current iterations of the Windows OS.

I’m not sure if dd can be used directly in the Windows Command Prompt for example; maybe the one with elevated privileges if the utility exists natively in a Windows environment? I (blindly) assume it does if Rufus can use it. This might be an option for you.

Thank you for your help! But I’m asking here because the problem only with manjaro iso :expressionless: :pensive: :frowning_face: With another linux’s iso all fine. So I jst thought that some on on the manjaro forum can know what to do with it.
And unfortunately this way is not working :

I’ve got an idea as a workaround to get you started. Boot one of those ISOs and then use dd or any suitable image writer utility from there to write your Manjaro bootable USB. A kludge but it gets you out of the chiicken-and-egg situation.

Last time I used Rufus must have been around 5 years ago, under Win7, when I first created Linux (mainly Mint) ISOs. I will have to make room for a Win10 VM to try out the current iteration. All my Manjaro ISOs have been “burnt” from within a Linux system.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try this way!

I highly doubt that, eg. do not believe that, because an iso is an iso.
If you burn an iso the correct way it does not matter what is inside it.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t you then ask on M$ community sites how to create a bootable ISO on a USB, instead of on a Linux community?
You can only expect solution to be performed on Linux here, not how to do that in M$…

Here is a page to help you nonetheless:

actually everyone was welcome here so far, and such comments so far superfluous.
I am only a member, but for years Manjaro user and I think such comments just do not belong here.
You can offer a solution without posting Windows Communitie typical comments.

3 Likes

Here’s an idea, how about you offering the solution instead of criticizing other Linux members?

1 Like

Totally agree with @hanny00 : sending OP to a W$ forum is rude and superfluous.
Criticizing his comment while not offering anything is just vain…

The Ventoy solution that has been mentioned several times is the one I used yesterday, remotely helping a friend who had a problem with… his W10.
He downloaded Ventoy & Manjaro, 5 minutes later he had a working live USB, 30 minutes later he was running a Manjaro (after live testing a Debian ).

1 Like

https://alternative.me/rufus

1. How would it be if i asked something else which is also non-related to Linux,
    fe. about some medical issue.
    Would that be welcomed also in your opinion? (I doubt it…)
  2. I did offer help by providing a link.
  3. I’m also just a member like everyone else here, we all are members of the same Linux community…
    Forget those badges, they mean nothing, in my case it just shows i’m very active at this forum…
  4. Lets not derail the topic even more with a side discussion shall we…

If any reply helped you at the end to fix your issue then mark it as solution and lets end this thread, thank you…