I can't access my second partition

Hi,
I have installed Manjaro and used manual partition on setup so i can split my 1TB ssd.
The second partition that i have made i just formatted to ext4 and that’s it. The problem that i am having now that i can’t really write into it. It has folder inside called “lost+found” and has a lock symbol.

What can i do?

Filesystem, Permissions:

3 Likes
1 Like

I guess its a normal rights problem and the mountpoint is owned by ‘root’.

sudo chown -R yourusername:yourusername /mnt/point/your/partition

This should help you. But you have to edit this command to your requirements. So change ‘yourusername’ to the user who will be new owner and ‘/mnt/point/your/partition’ to directory where your partition is mounted.

Good luck. :smiley:

2 Likes

If the partition is not listed in /etc/fstab and does not have a static mountpoint, then it will be auto-mounted under /run, but /run lives on a ramfs, and therefore, any change of the permissions on the mountpoint will not persist across reboots. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply.
The problem is that i don’t have any folders inside mnt

Please read my tutorial in post #3. :wink:

1 Like

I will try, but maybe it will be hard for me but i will give it a shot. TNX

“TL;DR” version

Open up a terminal window and issue the following command… :arrow_down:

lsblk -o NAME,UUID

With the mouse, copy the UUID of the second partition.

Next, create a directory inside your ${HOME}. :arrow_down:

mkdir ~/Data

The above presumes that you want to use ~/Data, because you might just as well use the existing ~/Documents directory, or another one.

Now, open up the file /etc/fstab in Kate ─ your profile says that you’re using Plasma, so Kate should be installed. If you don’t have Kate, then KWrite will do too.

Add a line to /etc/fstab that reads something like the following… :arrow_down:

UUID=the-UUID-you-copied   /home/mrgold/Data   ext4   auto,ssd,noatime,defaults   0   0

Save the file. You will be prompted for the sudo password.

Now you can reboot and the filesystem will automatically be mounted at /home/mrgold/Data, with the correct permissions.

Don’t mind the lost+found directory. It is there in case you suffer filesystem damage. The ext4 driver will then upon repairing the filesystem put the recovered files in that directory.

3 Likes

TNX i will do that.
What should i have done in the manual partition when i installed Manjaro to make things work on start?
How should i have configured this partition instead of just format it to ext4?

Simply giving it a mountpoint under your home directory would probably have done the job, but it’s difficult to say, given that your user account (and therefore your home directory) did not exist yet at the stage of partitioning your drive.

What most users do however is use the entire second partition as /home. And that’s an option you still have as well, albeit that it’s more difficult. I’ve written a tutorial about that as well. :arrow_down:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.