I’m on a hp laptop

Specs are
Amd ryzen 3 3250u dual core processor
4gb of ddr4 ram
128 gb storage

We need to know which wifi adapter your laptop has. Post the output of

inxi -N

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: N/A

Make sure your system is up-to-date. Install the headers for your kernel and then install rtl8821ce-dkms-git from the AUR.

How do I do that sorry I’m new to this

I deleted windows

I am sorry. It’s late here. I do not have the time or energy to hold your hand through this entire process. A search engine can be a great resource, and that’s how I learned Linux. Arch Wiki articles are also very helpful for Manjaro because it’s based on Arch.

a red “x” may indicate that there is an on/off switch for wireless on the laptop. If that is the case, make sure that wireless is toggled on. If you are using Network Manager, make sure “Enable Wifi” is ticked.

post the output of the following terminal commands.
rfkill list
inxi -Nn
You will need a temperary ethernet connection to do it.
Then follow ben81 suggestions

You can install the driver using yaourt which is the installer for packages from the arch user repository like so:

$ yaourt rtl8821ce
1 aur/rtl8821ce-dkms-git 1.0.5.r36.gca4abd8-1 (26) (0,46)
    rtl8821CE driver with firmware

Then select the package 1

As these package are user provided content you are asked several times whether you want to have a look into the install script. I would recommend to do so. You should see there where the actual code will be pulled from. Check if there sources might look suspicious.

Even if you trust the package you might learn how things are working under the hood.

PS: I’m not sure if yaourt is being installed by default. If not, install it using our current installer (Discover or Octopi or whatever you are using)

@Markcrazy20 I was tired last night and hoping someone else would give you good advice. So far that has barely happened.

First of all, run

uname -a

to get the version of your currently running kernel. You will need to install the headers for it.

For example if it begins with 5.10, you want linux510-headers. If it’s linux 5.4 you want linux54-headers.

sudo pacman -Syu linuxXY-headers

replacing XY with the correct version number. That command will also fully update your software, which is important before installing ANYTHING new.

The current AUR helper included in Manjaro is pamac, not yaourt, like the previous post suggests.

Install the driver for your wifi adapter using

pamac build rtl8821ce-dkms-git

Any DKMS-based driver requires the correct linux headers, which is the reason we did that in advance.

Then reboot your system, and the wifi should work.

1 Like

Thank you I plugged it into ethernet and downloaded everything now it works

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.