I broke the keyring and now can't find a solution. Is it recoverable?

Hello people! I am running Manjaro 18.0.0 w/ Kernel 4.19.6 on a new-ish Intel notebook.

First of all, I know I kinda f’ed up. Trying to recover the system currently.

I was doing a update for the first time in a few months and for some reason the pc rebooted during the update. It booted without any running service so I just rebooted it again (this one took some time) and tried to update.

After rebooting got a PGP error for every package. I was following the forum carelessly and found a series of commands link

The problem is that I removed the gnupg, but I was still unable to use pacman-Sy, so now I could not reinstall it.

I tried compiling gnupg from source, but I needed libreadline.so.7, while I have libreadline.so.8 at the system. I tried creating a link with ln, the install progressed but failed at another point (dirmngr).

After making the link the error with pacman -Sy changed too. Now for anything I try to install through Pacman the process fails to download required keys (“key ABC123 could not be looked up remotely”)

sudo pacman-key --init does not have an output.
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys fails: "gpg: connecting dirmngr at ‘/etc/pacman.d/gnupg/S.dirmngr’ failed: IPC connect call failed

I am currently at a loss, I’d love to be able to restore this system to a functional state. Any help is welcome.

I do have a bootable usb for manjaro 18.0.0 in hand, if that could help.

Check this FAQ thread, it has a load of options:

You’ll probably need to use th “nuclear option” which is essentially the same as the steps you used, but skip pacman until after you’ve fixed the keyring setup.

2 Likes

Ah all the commands seems to work up to the --refresh-key, then it fails all the same.

gpg: connection dirmngr at ‘/etc/pacman.d/gnupg/S.dirmngr’ failed: IPC connect call failed
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No dirmngr
==> ERROR: A specificed local key could not be updated from a keyserver.

Any other ways I can try to tackle this issue? It seems the problem is directly with Dirmngr so I am searching for posts about it atm.

Edit: I managed to install dirmngr after a couple of reboots and it seems It is working now :o thank you very much!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.