How to configure VLC Media Player to work on Manjaro-Gnome to work properly?

We all know vlc gets glitchy in Manjaro in comparison to others such as Ubuntu. By glitchy, I mean everything from not paying the video, flickering window to not closing properly.

What can be done to make it run as smoothly as possible?

Strangely enough, I have so far not had any problems with VLC whatsoever, and I doubt that there would be anything wrong with it.

What I find more plausible is that there would be something wrong with the video driver you’re using, and especially if it’s the proprietary Nvidia driver.

Another thing that might make a difference is whether you’re using X11 or Wayland as the display server. Wayland is still not really ready for production use in my opinion, but your mileage may vary.

:man_shrugging:

I also have Intel HD graphics, don’t you think the NVIDIA driver is pretty irrelevant in this case?
And also, I’m in the dark when it comes to X11 /Wayland/Xorg. What do you propose I should do?

The same problem with me. I have now given up trying to use the VLC. The messy exiting is one thing, no more picture or even crashes as soon as I change something in the image adjustment (brightness, saturation, etc). I only have VLC still on the computer because it comes preinstalled with Manjaro and I hope that it will run satisfactorily again SOMEDAY. Have now finally decided for mpv. The works flawlessly. ALWAYS!

Btw: X11, Radeon RX 580, AMDGPU drivers (it makes no difference which kernel I use).

The only strange thing is that on pure Arch VLC runs without any problem …

But mpv looks to void of anything tho. I wish it looked it more fun like VLC :man_shrugging:

Well, I actually watch the video, not the player around it :wink:

Well, that doesn’t help you now, but maybe there are some experts on the subject.

1 Like