Hybrid AMD/NVIDIA set up

It might help improving if we knew what you have tried and failed.
Would you mind for some feedback?

:point_up: this. "it doesnt work" doesn't help you or the users willing to help you. nvidia to amd offload does work with the correct configuration. you get out what you put in.

since you didnt post the requested outputs, nobody other than yourself knows whats going on.

replace whatever gpu configuration (if any) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (probably 90-mhwd.conf) with this one.

#/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/offload.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "layout"
  Option "AllowNVIDIAGPUScreens"
  Screen 0 "iGPU"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "iGPU"
  Driver "amdgpu"
  Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    Option "RENDER" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "iGPU"
  Device "iGPU"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "nvidia"
  Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

save/exit/reboot

do keep in mind, both nvidia and amdgpu need to be installed. when you installed video-nvidia-435xx it created conf files that are probably conflicting with what you want to do. so in case i forgot to mention it... post the requested outputs

1 Like

This is what I have done, install using architect because even the 18.1.0 live doesnt work.

Install desktop, bootloader and free drivers. Then install the Nvidia driver using mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-435xx

Replace the 90-mhwd.conf with the offload.conf you provided.

I blacklist the nouveau driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Reboot the PC it goes to a black screen I am able to get to tty and took some pictures of the requested commands.

ok, in the third picture you can see that you have more than one xorg configuration in use which is always a great way to end up at a black screen. you were suppose to remove 90-mhwd.conf because it's taking priority over the .conf file you actually want to use.

make sure thats the only file in there that does not belong
ls -la /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

then get rid of it

sudo rm -rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf

then reboot. and if for whatever reason you might end up back at a black screen, edit the file you created earlier and replace "amdgpu" with "modesetting"

Well that worked to get past the black screen. I got to the login screen entered my password. A mouse pointer appeared then the middle of screen flashed static and now I can't do anything. I can't even get a tyy screen to appear. As I am writing this reply I notice the brightness dimmed down and when I pressed a key in increased, while remaining black. I decided to open another tty entered my user name and password. Pressed enter and the input "shutdown now" the computer shut itself down.

small step towards progress :sweat_smile:

have you tried this yet?

Yup, how would I default xorg to use the AMD igpu? That's how every other distro is able to work withy setup.

That configuration is wrong I used this configuration and got it to work. I now have a bootable Manjaro desktop for the first time in 3 months. I had lost all hope as you guys could previously read haha. Thank you to both of you for being patient with my super frustrated ass lol.

6 Likes

that sounds painful :smirk:

glad to hear you figured it out :+1:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I have similar laptop configuration. The laptop is Asus FX705DU (NVIDIA GTX1660Ti, AMD Ryzen R7-3750H).

I went through all the steps you wrote, now there is no black screen anymore. However, I cannot use the external monitor. I often use my computer by extending an monitor and a laptop screen.

Nvidia panel sees external monitor via HDMI but I have no changing option :frowning:

Screenshots:

Thanks.

@Akicay Please create a new thread for your issue. It is never a good idea to jump into someone else's thread with an issue. Especially when the thread is marked as "Solved".

When you create your new post, please follow these guidelines.

Thank you.

1 Like

because render offloading doesnt support external monitors, not yet anyway. using a prime setup would perform better and not make your video outputs useless.

dont respond here and create a new thread as @linesma suggested.

1 Like

Thanks @dglt @AgentS @Swagglepuf, this topic was helpful for my laptop with Ryzen 5 and Nvidia 1650.

2 Likes

yw, welcome to the forum.

Thank you guys. This worked for me also with ryzen 5 and gtx 1650. May I know what is the difference between offloading and prime?

Not easy to describe.
You may find this useful.

prime: uses the nvidia gpu full-time, no launch parameters needed, everything works as it should including external monitors.

render-offload: xorg runs on the nvidia gpu so it can never be fully powered down, running apps/games on the nvidia requires launch paramters (2 actually, one for vulkan and another for glx). no support for external monitors so your video outputs become useless.

2 Likes

Doesn't using prime consumes lot of battery power?

thats the thing, it depends on the user and how the laptop is gonna be used. mine is connected to AC power most of the time so power usage is the least of my concerns but when i need to stretch power i switch to intel only mode via optimus-switch, everything is run on the intel iGPU and the nvidia dGPU is powered down.

if you travel with the laptop you could just stay in intel mode and only boot nvidia mode when you need the nvidia performance. but you at least have the option to power down the gpu, render-offload makes that impossible and it also breaks any possibility of using external displays. i can not for the life of me understand why anyone would want to use render offload but to each their own i guess. :man_shrugging:

and keep in mind that even when using prime mode, the nvidia gpu is still able to scale up and down based on demand so it's power draw is nothing crazy but certainly noticeable. your GPU is of the same turing architecture as RTX without the ray tracing and the power management on it is better than the previous generations.

this thread however is not the place to discuss it since it's months old. if you want help setting up optimus-switch to work with your ryzen/nvidia hybrid graphics setup just create a new thread and link it here or include @dglt anywhere and i'll be alerted.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for all the help and great explanation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by