hplip unable to work

@Piotr: If I would be able to install my scanner, then I would have to try to install that plugins. But in the moment I cannot say, whether I would have have this problem.
@philm: I can open the toolbox. It says that there are no devices. If I let the toolbox look for a printer or scanner with a fixed IP or on its own way the result is
HPLIP cannot detect printers in your network. This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required ports. When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For detailed steps follow the link. http://hplipopensource.com/node/374
The same information is given if I use my terminal with the command "sudo hp-setup -i"
And because of the problem with python-pyqt5: It is installed. Here the information of my terminal: "trizen -Ss python-pyqt5
extra/pyqt5-common 5.13.2-1 [Installiert]
Common PyQt files shared between python-pyqt5 and python2-pyqt5
extra/python-pyqt5 5.13.2-1 [Installiert]
A set of Python 3.x bindings for the Qt5 toolkit".

@moson: Thank you for your proposal. I tried and trizen did a lot of installing because of many dependies, but then:"==> FEHLER: Ein Fehler geschah in build().
Breche ab...
:: Unable to build pyqt4-common - makepkg exited with code: 4
".

@m-bostaurus
python-pyqt4

Latest Comments

Viel Erfolg

@SpiritOfTux: Thank you and honestly spoken I'm not able to work with python ...

So you never ran the "hp-doctor" thing before since printing was working?
What if you downgrade that package to the previous version, does it work then?

@moson: I used hp-doctor the first after I noticed after last stable update, that my scanner "disappeared". Before update, everything worked fine. I'll downgrade the packege tomorrow morning and will then report the result at this place.

I downgraded the package hplip on one of my computers, which is always used for experiments, and it worked. Tomorrow I will do the same for productive use.

1 Like

OK, let us know if installing python-distro might help. Old packages you may find here. I check if the newer revisions help in some way ...

1 Like

@philm: python-distro had been installed: community/python-distro 1.4.0-1 [Installiert]
I deleted the current package and installed *19.8-2: extra/hplip 1:3.19.11-1 [Installiert: 1:3.19.8-2] This works on my productive computer.
Thank you very much for your efforts!

I have to apologize. The problem is not solved, because after a reboot the scanner is indeed recognized but does not react, even it made one time one copy. So downgrading is not really helpful.

I'm in a similar situation.
What is installed at the moment:

HP Device Manager (hplip)  1:3.19.11-1
python-distro  1.4.0-1

When running hp-doctor I get the same errors:

error: This distro (i.e manjarolinux 18.1.3) is either deprecated or not yet supported.

My printer/scanner is an HP Deskjet 2540.
If I run hp-uiscan it told me "no device connected" despite the fact that if i open HP Device Manager (hp-toolbox), my printer is there, is recognized, I can also see the status of cartridges; oddly if I run hp-scan from terminal, I can obtain a scanning from the scanner.

Using CUPS to print and a third party app to scan (eg Document Scanner or skanlite), everything is fine and functional.

I've been working on this problem for about five hours now. And now the scanner is working - mostly ...
It was a combination of the driver version and unfavorable network settings that caused that nothing worked. The problem isn't really solved because I've excluded the hplip package from updating at the moment, but I can now finally scan my documents again.

The day after ...
Everything works well on my computer (hplip 1:3.19.8-2).

Hi,
I have the same Problem with my HP MFP m281fdw. The update to 3.19.11 went well without errors. After that HP Setup was not able to find my printer eighter with manual IP.
I installed GFWU to check firewall Settings, but it doesn´t had any effect.
So I downgrade to 3.19.8 and printer was online within 1sec.

Michael

I also downgrade from 3.19.11-1 to 3.19.8-2, but hp-uiscan still say "No device connected".
Is not a problem for me, because as I've previously said, from hp-toolbox the printer is available (and I can also see the status of cartridges) and I am able to use the scanner with other applications.

Just for curiosityI tried to upgrade to 3.19.11-3, but whe I run hp-toolbox, this time I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hp-toolbox", line 41, in <module>
    from base import status, tui, module
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/status.py", line 33, in <module>
    import cupsext
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'cupsext'

By trying to install such module using pip I get

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement cupsext (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for cupsext

So I'm back to 3.19.11-1 and I will live with such version :smiley:

Hi,

I have the problem with my HP MFP m281fdw, too. After the update to 3.19.11 the HP device manager could not find any printer, while CUPS is fine. After reading the post here I removed 3.19.11 and switched to AUR 3.18.12-1 (hplip-3.18).
Now everything works fine. It seems 3.19.11(-1) is broken somehow. Before I used 3.19.8-2. this version was working also fine for me. Maybe I move to this again, in case 3.18 causes problems.

BR, Johannes

I had the same problems with a HP MFP m281f. I started in a Terminal the hp-setup in debug-mode (hp-setup -g), to find out, on wich error hp-setup fails.

the answer was:
hp-setup[4024]: debug: Found device: {'num_devices': 1, 'num_ports': 1, 'product_id': 'T6B71A', 'status_code': 0, 'device2': '0', 'device3': '0', 'note': '', 'device1': 'MFG:HP;CMD:PJL,PML,PCLXL,PWG_RASTER,URP,PCL,PDF,POSTSCRIPT;MDL:HP ColorLaserJet MFP M178-M181;CLS:PRINTER;DES:HP Color LaserJet MFP M181fw;MEM:MEM=228MB;PRN:T6B71A;COMMENT:RES=600x8;LEDMDIS:USB#ff#04#01;CID:HPLJPDLV1;IPP-E:FF-04-01,FF-04-01,FF-09-01,FF-09-01;eSCL:FF-04-01,FF-04-01,FF-09-01,FF-09-01;MCT:MF;MCL:FL;MCV:2.0;', 'mac': '7440BB542142', 'ip': '192.168.178.044', 'hn': 'NPIAB6AE6'}
hp-setup[4024]: debug: Cache miss: hp_colorlaserjet_mfp_m178-m181
hp-setup[4024]: debug: Reading file: /usr/share/hplip/data/models/models.dat
hp-setup[4024]: debug: Searching for section [hp_colorlaserjet_mfp_m178-m181] in file /usr/share/hplip/data/models/models.dat
error: No devices found on bus: net

Searching for "hp_colorlaserjet_mfp_m178-m181" in /usr/share/hplip/data/models/models.dat was without results, but "hp_color_laserjet_mfp_m178-m181" was found.

I renamed this into "hp_colorlaserjet_mfp_m178-m181", restartet hp-toolbox, and the printer was there :slight_smile:

What a nice Christmas ;

1 Like

Today (2020-01-05) I stopped my system to ignore newer hplip-versions and so it was updated to hplip 1:3.19.12-1. In the next step I had to download and install a new version of a special plug-in from HP. After that and since that scanning works fine again. The problem is solved.
There is a curious thing with that plug-in: I take it with the GUI of HPLIP Status Service. Whenever I install I get the information that there was no way to download the plug-in and because of that the process failed, but in fact it is okay.

Happy new year to all. I can confirm, that 3.19.12 (1:3.19.12-1) from stable channel solves all issues for me (HP MFP m281fdw), too. I had not to rename anything or to download plugins. Works out of the box :slight_smile:

I am running 1:3.19.12-1 and hp-uiscan states "No Device Connected". I can scan using 3rd party scanning applications just fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this?

hp-uiscan -g
/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py:2061: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if weburl is "" or weburl is None:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.12)
Scan Utility ver. 2.2

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

hp-uiscan[1838]: debug: Using PyQt5
/usr/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py:2074: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if home_dir is "":

Forum kindly sponsored by