HP Pavilion Gaming Ryzen 7 chasing battery hogs

HP pavilion Gaming Ryzen 7 4800 NVidia 1650TI Linux 5.16 rc6 Plasma Desktop Hybrid AMD-Nvidia470xx prime driver package. Running TLP.

I also run powertop occasionally to check on power pigs and try to improve battery life. Couple of pigs I have found are

[PID 989] /usr/lib/Xorg -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 vt1 -auth /var/run/sddm/{14a173b7-d28b-404a-8f7d-d1c93a06f3c

which is the hungriest . I will also have as many as 4 pid’s running with only “nvidia-settings” and another pid that is “irq/79-nvidia.”
I have searched for all of these and so far there doesnt seem to be much info out there…

During this the machine is running on battery, no external monitor connected. I did a search both here and elsewhere on the PID 989 I listed above and so far have not been able to determine what it might be. In TLP settings I have things NVidia disabled on the PCIe buss to try to save power. If it is a help my objective is to try to minimize the impact on battery by cutting down on the hybrid video ability. I use this only when connected to the charger.

Any suggestions or ideas on what these various processes are would be appreciated.
Thanks

these might help :point_down:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Power_Management

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management

hi ishaanbhimwal

Thanks very much. Saw the Manjaro wiki but had not looked at the Arch. I run TLP. I have powertop but I dont run it as a service and do not use it to adjust machine parameters, only as a tool to see more inside of what goes on with the machine when its on battery. I was more curious about the processes I mentioned, whether anyone with similar experience had seen these before and might have further insight.

Again thank you for the links.

As a total aside here --on my Pavilion Gaming-- doing some writing, light browsing ( Firefox is a big battery pig, Palemoon seems better) e mail and some light photo processing I am getting between 5 and 7 hours on the battery, not bad for a gaming laptop…still unable to shut up the NVidia interrupts yet. Using TLP for system control and only running powertop as a program. not as a service, only to see whats using the battery. This is only my second Linux laptop experience and its totally different vs running Manjo on a desktop. Works great once one gets things dialed in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.