HP Elite Dragonfly Chromebook Webcam Not Working

no

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply.

is what is displayed at the end of this thread

I saw that message, it isn’t really helpful. So I need to make a new one and keep bumping it every ~30 hours or how is this forum supposed to be productive and not filled with spam?

but it does not mean that this has gone unnoticed either

Definitely not by the way you are proposing.
Please don’t do that.

You could learn to build a kernel - adapt the config to include the modules you want to have built and included.

Then share it - if and when it works.

That would be a better incentive.

I’ll be one of those flagging your “bumping the thread” posts, should you decide to do that. :nerd_face:
I can promise you that.

Ok as long as closing doesn’t mean that it won’t be considered and seen then I’ll wait for them to add it. I work 12-16 hour days, 5-7 days a week - keeping up with this forum thread has been difficult enough. Time to learn how to make and debug whatever a kernel is isn’t a privilege that I currently have but fingers crossed someone there sees it. I think I took the “Windows isn’t a real OS” people too serious because Linux is a lot more of a headache than I thought it would be, ha!

The forum auto closing policy seems very backwards though and also catering towards people with lots of free time. Just because it takes me a few days to get to “creating a kernel” or attempting a workaround, discussion is stifled and a new thread would need to be made if there’s a real development? Very odd approach.

Everyone has his reasons …

cool - as did I, but also worked to avoid this scenario :wink:

I have this tendency to try and solve problems that are not mine - and I did build my own kernels in Arch in days long gone, when I thougt I could gain something from putting in this amount of time and work …

Building on this I might try building a kernel with this enabled - and share the config so as to make it easier for the actual maintainers to incorporate your desired change.

Might take a while, though.

not going into discussing the rest

Ah… sounds a bit contradictory, don’t you think? :thinking:

That’s because I saw this going in circles, so I marked the following post quoted below as the solution so the thread closed automatically 36 hours after the last reply.

@MrLavender I don’t suppose you can clear all this up? I’m officially lost and confused.

Disclaimer: Just because I’m wearing the Manjaro Team hat does not mean I know anything about kernels.

Previous to kernel 6.10 the intel ipu6 drivers were only available out-of-tree from GitHub - intel/ipu6-drivers. There are some attempts at packaging those on the AUR which OP tried to install on kernel 6.9 in the previous thread, but the packages don’t build and given the comments on the AUR even if the PKGBUILD is fixed they don’t seem to work. E.g. AUR (en) - intel-ipu6-dkms-git and AUR (en) - intel-ipu6ep-camera-hal-git

In kernel 6.10 those drivers were officially integrated into the Linux kernel so I suggested to OP that the easiest solution is to use that. However when OP installed 6.10-rc4 those drivers are not present on their system because it seems they aren’t configured to be built.

OP has limited technical knowledge (no offense meant) so I didn’t want to tell them to build and install custom 6.10 kernels and suggested they make this request instead.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining.

@trixter I’ve reopened your other thread.

1 Like

Well I specifically asked them to open a new thread in the kernel category because I thought it would get more traction. Apologies if that wasn’t the correct procedure.

I mean, it seems a simple thing in the end, I guess the config is copied from 6.9 and so doesn’t account for this new config option? I can’t find where Arch does 6.10rc testing to compare.

There’s more to it than just the kernel config. The firmware is already present in linux-firmware, however there appears to be more that needs to be done for libcamera to support it. See How to use the IPU6 webcam with kernel 6.10+? / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums.

By the way, Arch does not publish RC kernels.

Ah, I saw after it was already closed and knew that I didn’t choose a solution so I assumed that it was just automated to mark the most recent reply as the solution when a post went unanswered for 36 hours. That makes more sense - although because there’s no indication that it was marked as solved by an admin, it might be helpful to add some details like “Marked as solution by xxxxx” or “Marked as solution by admin” to the forum software, unless that is already visible somewhere that I cannot find.

I also do wish that you could still comment after a post is closed similar to Github so that maybe you could tag the person that closed it to reopen the post if the solution either doesn’t actually work for the OP or stops working and the issue comes back for some reason. Having to make a new post asking for it to be reopened seems a little tedious and prone to more forum clutter. Or even if the 36 hour window could be extended to, say, 72 hours or a week so that a user has more time to comment back and have the issue reopened that way. It seems low risk to allow the user more time to reply - if the issue is really solved, the outcome is the same where it will be closed but once you miss that 36 hour window it is difficult to continue discussion.

Thank you for the help and I’m excited to try out the rc7 release mentioned in the kernel post when I can to see what progress it makes. :crossed_fingers:

Good idea, however as far as I know our forum software, Discourse does not support that.

That would defeat the purpose of closing the thread. How then could a Moderator stop folks from posting? Sometimes, unfortunately it’s necessary to stop a topic getting out of hand.

Valid concern. In fact, it’s happened before.

Please do not create a new topic. Instead, just PM @moderators and we’ll take care of it.

Fair enough. It’s now been extended from 36 to 72 hours. There was a related forum discussion here somewhere.

Well, then you’ll need to switch to the unstable branch unless you want to wait. Phil will most likely trigger builds for 6.10-rc7 and 6.6.38 here soon :tm:

Alright, I updated to the 6.10.0-1 kernel and there definitely seems to be progress! The device is detected, but when opening the Camera app it says “Could not play camera stream” rather than saying no device is detected.

v4l2-ctl --list-devices outputs:

ipu6 ():
        /dev/video0
        /dev/video1
        /dev/video2
        /dev/video3
        /dev/video4
        /dev/video5
        /dev/video6
        /dev/video7
        /dev/video8
        /dev/video9
        /dev/video10
        /dev/video11
        /dev/video12
        /dev/video13
        /dev/video14
        /dev/video15
        /dev/video16
        /dev/video17
        /dev/video18
        /dev/video19
        /dev/video20
        /dev/video21
        /dev/video22
        /dev/video23
        /dev/video24
        /dev/video25
        /dev/video26
        /dev/video27
        /dev/video28
        /dev/video29
        /dev/video30
        /dev/video31

ipu6 (PCI:0000:00:05.0):
        /dev/media0

And lspci shows:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4609 (rev 04)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-UP3 GT1 [UHD Graphics] (rev 0c)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake Innovation Platform Framework Processor Participant (rev 04)
00:05.0 Multimedia controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake Imaging Signal Processor (rev 04)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #0 (rev 04)
00:07.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #2 (rev 04)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Gaussian & Neural Accelerator (rev 04)
00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Platform Monitoring Technology (rev 01)
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 04)
00:0d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 NHI #0 (rev 04)
00:0d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 NHI #1 (rev 04)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 01)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:15.2 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:15.3 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 01)
00:19.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:19.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev 01)
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH UART #0 (rev 01)
00:1e.3 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake SPI Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH eSPI Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH SPI Controller (rev 01)
57:00.0 SD Host controller: Genesys Logic, Inc GL9755 SD Host Controller (rev 01)
58:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Phison Electronics Corporation PS5013-E13 PCIe3 NVMe Controller (DRAM-less) (rev 01)

xawtv -c /dev/video0 (or any number video) outputs:

This is xawtv-3.107, running on Linux/x86_64 (6.10.0-1-MANJARO)
xinerama 0: 2256x1504+0+0
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Oops: can't load any font