[HowTo] Solve problems with the xone driver in Manjaro

Hey everyone, hope you’re having a nice day.

For a while, I’ve been using the xone driver by medusalix in GitHub: GitHub - medusalix/xone: Linux kernel driver for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S accessories

This driver is still a work in progress, but it helps me get audio through my Xbox One controller.

The problem is that everytime there’s a kernel update you have to uninstall the driver, update the system and install it again, but sometimes the modules that the driver uses don’t get removed, which gives you the following problem when trying to install the driver:

Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod xone/0.3 -k 5.18.10-1-MANJARO
Error! Module version 0.3 for xone-wired.ko.xz
is not newer than what is already found in kernel 5.18.10-1-MANJARO (v0.1-53-g6d7bffb).
You may override by specifying --force.
Error! Module version 0.3 for xone-gip-gamepad.ko.xz
is not newer than what is already found in kernel 5.18.10-1-MANJARO (v0.1-53-g6d7bffb).
Error! Module version 0.3 for xone-gip-headset.ko.xz
Error! Module version 0.3 for xone-gip-chatpad.ko.xz

The way I solved this problem was by running the following command, which basically goes to the directory where the modules are located and deletes them:

sudo rm /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/xone-*

(huge thanks to @maycne.sonahoz for the command)

(These are the modules that xone uses, except for v4l2loopback.ko.xz)

Now you can proceed to install the AUR package (https://aur.archlinux.org/xone-dkms) or build it from the GitHub repo.

Hope this helped somebody, feel free to write your doubts in the comments.
Feedback is really appreciated too :smiley:

You should paste the error message as text, so your guide gets a higher chance of being found whenever one looks for it.

Also, this could be summed up as:

sudo rm /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/xone-*

:wink:

1 Like

Good point, I’ll put the error message as text.
Also, I didn’t thought about only using one command for the entire operation, definitely going to put it in the guide, thanks a lot :smiley: