[HowTo] set up the audio card in Samsung Galaxy Book

Thank You for advice, I will try.

Thank you for this guide. I can confirm this works for the flex2 alpha mostly. I for some reason cannot get the headphones to work.

I make sure my headphones are plugged in. I open alsamixer from the terminal and press F6 then select sof-hda-dsp

I am able to adjust the sound level but I hear no sound out of the head phones. They are not muted in the taskbar either. I am using Cinnamon which has a different interface. I dont see an advance option for configuring audio from the icon.

Can confirm this works on the Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360.

Made an account just to thank you for this wizardry.

I can confirm this works (minus the Samsung-specific steps) for an HP 15-dy2152wm laptop with Core i5-1137G5 and Tiger Lake LP Sound.

Hello, Using to912.sh is working for me!

But, still internal mic (= built-in mic) does not work.

Cloud you please tell me how to set internal mic working using hda-verb?

Thank you.

Can confirm this is working with the Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 as well.

Unfortunately, the script fails to execute on boot, but if I manually start it afterwards (or suspend and wake), it works perfectly.

I skipped the options snd slots=snd_soc_skl_hda_dsp part since it seemed to break the script somehow (even though snd_soc_skl_hda_dsp is loaded automatically later on anyways)

Now I’m wondering if there’s a way to implement this in a less hacky way (directly in the kernel, alsa, etc) instead of a script, and maybe upstream it since it seems to be a common issue on Samsung notebooks in general.

There are now 4 patches in Linux kernel for Samsung Galaxy devices
and patches have been back-ported to LTS kernels v5.15 and v5.10

patch_realtek.c - sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c - Linux source code (v5.18.12) - Bootlin

SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc189, "Samsung Galaxy Flex Book (NT950QCG-X716)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc18a, "Samsung Galaxy Book Ion (NP930XCJ-K01US)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET),

SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc830, "Samsung Galaxy Book Ion (NT950XCJ-X716A)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc832, "Samsung Galaxy Book Flex Alpha (NP730QCJ)", ALC256_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET),

Galaxy Book Flex Alpha has ALC256 codec instead of ALC298 codec and has a different patch

There are also open bug reports awaiting a patch:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205267
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216023
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=188411

The kernel has a model alias name for both patches:

patch_realtek.c - sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c - Linux source code (v5.18.12) - Bootlin

{.id = ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET, .name = "alc298-samsung-headphone"},
	{.id = ALC256_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET, .name = "alc256-samsung-headphone"},

The model alias can be added to unpatched systems as a modprobe option

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/samsung-headphone.conf <<< 'options snd-hda-intel model=alc298-samsung-headphone'
1 Like

Hello.

Is this patch available in built-in mic?

Hi,
I’m using a Galaxy book2 pro.
I follow this tutorial and now my microphone is working but the speakers don’t.

Can this issue come from pipewire?
Regards

Confirmed to work on Linux Mint 21 for Galaxy Book Pro 360 with the caveat that I need to run the script file on every restart (this is with using ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/YOURUSER/scripts/TO912.sh). However, Pop OS will not work as it running Pipewire instead of pulseaudio seems to need other workarounds.

I also skipped step 4 as mine uses tigerlake. Could probably change the skl to tgl or sth, but it still works.

More kernel patches have been back-ported to LTS kernels v5.15 and v5.10 for:

• Notebook 9 Pen
  • Notebook 9 Pro
  • Galaxy Book Pro
  • Galaxy Book Pro 360

patch_realtek.c - sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c - Linux source code (v5.10.157) - Bootlin

SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc169, "Samsung Notebook 9 Pen (NP930SBE-K01US)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc176, "Samsung Notebook 9 Pro (NP930MBE-K04US)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc189, "Samsung Galaxy Flex Book (NT950QCG-X716)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc18a, "Samsung Galaxy Book Ion (NP930XCJ-K01US)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc1a3, "Samsung Galaxy Book Pro (NP935XDB-KC1SE)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc1a6, "Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 (NP930QBD)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP),

SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc830, "Samsung Galaxy Book Ion (NT950XCJ-X716A)", ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP),
	SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x144d, 0xc832, "Samsung Galaxy Book Flex Alpha (NP730QCJ)", ALC256_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET),

Previous kernel patch ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_HEADPHONE_VERY_QUIET was replaced with ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP in Sep 2022.
The model alias name in previous post #27 was also changed:

LKML: Greg Kroah-Hartman: [PATCH 5.19 145/155] ALSA: hda/realtek: Add speaker AMP init for Samsung laptops with ALC298

{.id = ALC298_FIXUP_SAMSUNG_AMP, .name = "alc298-samsung-amp"},

To use new model alias name on an unpatched system:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/samsung-headphone.conf <<< 'options snd-hda-intel model=alc298-samsung-amp'

Hi,

it seems that the patch doesn’t work on the galaxy book pro 3

$> uname -srv
Linux 6.2.8-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed, 22 Mar 2023 22:52:35 +0000
inxi -Aa
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Samsung Co driver: N/A bus-ID: 00:05.0
    chip-ID: 8086:a75d class-ID: 0480
  Device-2: Intel vendor: Samsung Co driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl
    alternate: snd_hda_intel,snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl bus-ID: 00:1f.3
    chip-ID: 8086:51ca class-ID: 0401
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.2.8-arch1-1 running: yes
  Sound Interface: sndio v: N/A running: no
  Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.67 running: yes

I’m using sway with pipewire

2 more patches added recently

• Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 (NP930QED)
  • Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro (NP930XED)

LKML: [PATCH] ALSA: hda/realtek: Fix the speaker output on Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro

I suggest:

• Get an ALSA diagnostic — sudo alsa-info.sh

• Delete the patch file /etc/modprobe.d/samsung-headphone.conf and reboot system

• Get another diagnostic for unpatched ALSA

• Create a report at bugzilla.kernel.org and post both diagnostics as attachments

HI, sorry to bother with this noob question, but I can’t find my way through this.
I’m running manjaro on a Galaxy Book2 Pro (NP950XED), went through this tutorial step by step, unsuccefully.
I understand that there’s a patch to make sound work on this machine, but I can’t get a clue how to use it …
Could anyboby guide me to the necessary information to be able to solve this problem ?
Thank you

Thanks @nikgnomic , I created this issue on bugzilla
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217271

Edit: New user can post inactive link in preformatted text. You should get Basic user badge and usual forum privileges soon
nikgnomic

How’s it going? Is there any progress? A friend of mine just got the same 940XFG laptop and is facing the same issue.

Hey does this work on Samsung galaxy book 3 pro 360?
Or any of the 3 pro models?

Hi !

I just tried it on a galaxy book 3 pro with archlinux.

It is not working for me and even broke the mic that worked previously

No, it doesn’t.

It wasn’t made for that model, which other than the similar name and brand, is a completely different model…