[HowTo] reboot / turn off your frozen computer: REISUB/REISUO

Edited into the latest version of the [HowTo]:

• If a REISUB just restarts your DE just do a REISUO after the REISUB as per feedback from gan. (See next section how to perform a REISUO)

:+1:

2 Likes

You could add that for those that lack a SysRq key (like me) that you can find the correct key using showkey.
IIRC the correct key should give scancode 99
I found my combo to be Alt+PrtScr for my keyboard.

2 Likes

:grin:

But in this case its not a laptop, i got a “Steelseries MERC Stealth gaming keyboard” on a desktop :wink:
Like this one:

1 Like

Ah! I’ll remove I’ve removed “laptop” to make it more generic to all keyboards!

Thank you for the feedback!

:+1:

@Fabby, don’t forget to add this little piece of info also, just in case :wink:

Yeah, but as it’s a 2-star difficulty I’d have to make that N00b-proof and I’ve travelled all day so really don’t feel like doing that right now.

However, if you post a N00b-proof use of showkey, I’m willing to copy-paste it in!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1. Ctrl + Alt + F2
  2. Enter your username, then enter your password
  3. Type showkey -k
  4. Press some button, tty will print its keycode
  5. When the key you need is found, just wait for 10 secs to allow showkey program exit
  6. Alt + F1
2 Likes

@Fabby and @openminded
Also see https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/115773
Which also meantions what scancodes (hex) and keycodes (dec) to expect…

And for completeness the official docs: Linux Magic System Request Key Hacks — The Linux Kernel documentation

1 Like

@openminded Thank you, but @TriMoon needs to do some more work:

So @TriMoon I’m not going to read anything. So if:

1. you post the exact procedure
    AND
  2. I deem it ★★ N00b-friendly enough

Then I’m going to copy-paste it in because IMHO it’s not worth going into this kind of detail, but if you think it should, then you do the work… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So far, it’s not worthy of a 2-star rating :man_shrugging:

Nahh thanks i will pass on that offer, they can already read it in the replies we put in place so far :stuck_out_tongue:
Plus it’s your HowTo :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, you’re the only one having an issue with this, so I’ll leave things as is because it contains 99.99% of all keyboard combinations now and doing a showkey is just a confirmation step of the procedure already described.

:wink:

No problem it was just an “extra” bit of info for those that can’t find the correct key-combo on non-standard keyboards…(Like mine)

2 Likes