[HowTo] Downgrade a package

package
downgrade

Downgrade

Some times you need to downgrade a package - maybe because an introduced bug breaks the program - maybe because another update breaks a dependency.

The downgrade package can be of some help but it can also fall short. The use of this package pose other issues to be aware of.

One requirement for a downgrade to work locally is your pacman cache. Unless you have a routine to keep this cache to a minimum it will contain all packages installed on your system and also all versions of the packages - can get pretty big if you don’t watch that cache.

What ever your downgrade reason - here is a way of doing it.

The manual way

The folder containing your packages is /var/cache/pacman/pkg

For example the pamac package. Here is a ls from my cache folder listing all packages matching pamac.

~ >>> ls -la /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac*                                                                                       
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 360100 May 10 17:49 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac-4.3.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 360592 May 11 10:04 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac-4.3.4-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 350224 May 11 19:28 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac-4.3.4-5-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 349896 May 13 13:04 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac-4.3.4-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 351392 May 13 21:27 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac-4.3.4-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 351772 May 14 13:27 /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac-4.3.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

If I were to downgrade the pamac app I could choose to install any of these packages.

~ >>> sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/package-version-number

The automated way @Chrysostomus

Alternatively, you can install the package downgrade (Wiki link) to downgrade packages. Usage

downgrade <package_to_downgrade>

This automates the process described by @fhdk. In addition, it allows you to choose older packages from arch way back machine. However, beware that using these arch packages in manjaro can have unintended side effects (breakage) and therefore, installing (old) packages from the arch way back machine is disabled for the stable branch of Manjaro by default. And, as always, partial updates, and therefore downgrading, is not supported.

Packages pacli and pacui provide a nice interactive interface to downgrade, among other things.

Gnucash 2.6.16-1 update issues
Lost Network after Update
Virtual Machines in Gnome-Boxes won't start
Budgie extras update problem
Unable to connect to wifi through network manager
[solved] Wine cancels System Sounds (and vice versa)
Rupee symbol not working on "English (India, with rupee sign)" keyboard layout anymore
Issue with vlc
Kodi cannot run after update
Steam game streaming randomly disconnects, then breaks wired internet until reboot
Maia shell theme on Gnome 3.24; dash-to-dock and notification panel issues

So, it seems my mentions bacame your wake up call to make this wiki huh?

Also because I became aware of an error - the reference to folder containing the packages :slight_smile:

It is a wiki - don’t have to post separately :slight_smile:
I have merged your content with OP

But, a user reported that command wont work stating the command cant be activated when on stable even if switched to unstable. Do you know why is that happened?

Can you provide a link to the issue? Are we talking about downgrade or the other commands here? Was downgrade installed?

Yes I was talking about downgrade command and yes it was installed. Here are the link to the issue :

Aah, manjaro has forked downgrade to keep stable users from breaking their system. I did not know this…

The downgrade script could be changed to use on the stable branch (if you’re able and willing to take the risk, i.e. a more experienced user):

i have just added this to the OP.

pinned #11