HowTo: Build your own Manjaro Spin

tutorial
manjaro-tools
iso
video
spin

With this video I show you in rich detail on how to create your own Manjaro spin.

Iso edit
Any plans for KDE Edition Minimal?
Eigene Linux Distribution mit Manjaro Architect
Manjaro xfce minimal
Looking for ideas and volunteers to create lightweight educational spin
Manjaro long installation time

'LLo philm,

Very nice & educational HowTo, especially about the use of extra & basic tags (for those who ask for minimal/basic isos from time to time) & also for the very useful -c buildiso option well detailed for cosmetic changes when desired packages list is Ok .
Imho & explained as in video, this is as easy to use (probably not much longer & especially reusable on different machines once done !) as the M-A install way to achieve the same result !
Once again, well done (chief) !

Ps: Nothing about pure 64 bits …? :wink:

@philm You forgot m-t-git wich include initialize function… I can drop this feature :sweat:

Just did this and it preserved nearly all of my settings and s/c wonderful!

@Ste74: I don’t had time lately to test the git version. Which branch was used for it and can you point me to the changes made?

good introduction, it’s well worth a watch even as someone who’s already built ISO images

if all the videos are going to be of this calibre I’ll definitely start sign-posting people to your YouTube channel

@philm
Cloned the iso-profile folder & started to have a look around while it I was watching the video.

On the video in xfce/live-overlay/root/ there is a .config folder.
In the one I cloned (downloaded) the root folder is empty.

Did I mess up or is that folder missing files?

Great job btw. :wink:

[edit]
IGNORE all that, well, except the last line, I unhid the folder. It was there taunting me all this time.:japanese_ogre:

OK. This is doing my head in. I’ve installed manjaro-tools-iso & manjaro-tools-pkg.

Going into my home folder I cannot see the folder Manjaro-Tools anywhere. I rebooted just in case. I even searched the entire drive. It ain’t there. This is from the terminal:

pamac list -g manjaro-tools
manjaro-tools-base [Installed]
manjaro-tools-iso [Installed]
manjaro-tools-pkg [Installed]
manjaro-tools-yaml [Installed] 
manjaro-iso-profiles-community 
manjaro-iso-profiles-official 
sonar-iso-profiles 

I’m up to the 8 1/2 minute mark in the video & am completely lost.

I miss the copy and paste area in this post. :wink:

git clone https://gitlab.manjaro.org/profiles-and-settings/iso-profiles.git
pamac list -g manjaro-tool
pamac install manjaro-tools-iso
~/.config/manjaro-tools

/var/lib/manjaro-tools
/var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/xfce/iso

--> Time make_sfs: 13.37 minutes
==> Making bootable image
==> Creating ISO image...
xorriso 1.5.0 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

Drive current: -outdev 'stdio:/var/cache/manjaro-tools/iso/manjaro/xfce/18.0.0/manjaro-xfce-18.0.0-stable-minimal-x86_64.iso'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is blank
Media summary: 0 sessions, 0 data blocks, 0 data, 21.7g free
Added to ISO image: directory '/'='/var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/xfce/iso'
xorriso : UPDATE :     784 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : UPDATE :     784 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : NOTE : Copying to System Area: 512 bytes from file '/var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/xfce/iso/boot/grub/i386-pc/boot_hybrid.img'
libisofs: NOTE : Automatically adjusted MBR geometry to 1017/94/32
xorriso : UPDATE :  7.98% done
xorriso : UPDATE :  72.63% done
ISO image produced: 766499 sectors
Written to medium : 766499 sectors at LBA 0
Writing to 'stdio:/var/cache/manjaro-tools/iso/manjaro/xfce/18.0.0/manjaro-xfce-18.0.0-stable-minimal-x86_64.iso' completed successfully.

==> Done [Build ISO]
 --> Time compress_images: 6.28 minutes
==> Finished building [xfce]
 --> Time make_profile: 13.40 minutes

Thank you @philm :slight_smile:

Is based on our stable branch 0.15.x

Updated with upstream…
Mate ISO 18.0.1-pre1 is build with it…

It also remove support for buildtree manjaro stuff and not opened a new MR so it start with the sonar deletion

This is really dope.
But what if I wanted an “already installed ready to go” image?
This would be pretty important whenever I’ll find the time for the PS4 build.

I guess buildiso -x would still, say, separate mhwd from rootfs?

What is the limit of iso size can I make an iso of size more than 5gb??

'LLo,

If I understand what you’re asking for (PS4 ?), it’s doable.
You must make the list of packages (Packages-Desktop) in manjaro-tools for your DE match the existing installation if you have modified lot of things (mousepad instead of leafpad, chromium instead of FF & so on for all the stuff, in example).
Once done, you copy the following three hidden folders (!) from your /home to yourDE/desktop-overlay/etc/skel (all this, sub-folders included should be root’s property):
.config .local & the DE specific folder which can also be already in .config (as xfce4 in example & by memory…)
& that’sall, you can run buildiso!
tested obviously with E, but with xfce & kde too, it’s a little more complicated with the latter because kde’s /home is the most complex ever…)

And that would make a single one squashfs image that I could throw into an usb key and use “permanently”?
Seems so strange for it to involve DE, considering one of the stuff to merge would be the omnipresent mhwd…

'LLo,

O_ops, i began with quote above & so, i certainly misunderstood what you were asking for (english’s not my native blahblah…) & sorry for the late answer too !
I was trying above to show how to build an iso based on a very modified installation (packages & config) compared to the official one.

Lol, your english is better than mine and I’m a native speaker!

I had simillar issue with that.
But according to wiki (https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Build_Manjaro_ISOs_with_buildiso):
By default, the systemwide config file is installed in

/etc/manjaro-tools/manjaro-tools.conf

But you can always copy it to “~/.config/manjaro-tools/” when it will override the default.

'LLo,

You have to git clone https://blabla like described in the video* for having it directly in your home.
It sounds you just installed M-T from pacman/pamac, so it should be in /usr/share/manjaro-tools -> strange that you don’t find it…

*: & run buildiso at least one time
Ps: sorry for late answer, i didn’t see your post in time !

Well, normally it is located in ~/.config/manjaro-tools/ which is a hidden folder. Also you may clone the current profiles to any folder you like to work with. Most likely I recommend:

mkdir -p ~/development
cd ~/development
git clone https://gitlab.manjaro.org/profiles-and-settings/iso-profiles.git
buildiso -qv

Last command will create the folder ~/.config/manjaro-tools/ in which you may edit the configuration as needed.