How would you argue to use Manjaro instead of Netrunner rolling?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

1 Like

I’d like to note, that I had nothing to do with the decision to discontinue the previous Netrunner rolling versions. I also do my very best to continue supporting those users that are still running those previous versions.

I also can’t comment on Maui as I have nothing to do with Netrunners Debian based projects, other than some of our common cross distribution git files (aka shared settings, patches, etc.).

2 Likes

I know you work very hard on the Netrunner project. You have a right to be proud of it. It is a very well put together distro and if it hadn’t been discontinued I would probably still be using it today. You don’t need to apologize for their decisions. You can only do so much as an individual team member. I know you are very dedicated to the project.

2 Likes

I was not in any way adversely remarking on you personally, but merely observing that i completely understand the sense of amazement, frustration & confusion felt by ex-Mauiers [me being one] at the shocking way that the Devs’ walkaway occurred, & the largely roaring silence afterwards. For my part i decided i would never again use any distro by Blue Systems.

1 Like

That is your right, and I respect your decision to do so.
I’m a firm believer in voting with your wallet, I still refuse to watch the NFL and ESPN.
I don’t use cable, satellite, or any live streaming services currently, although I do have an antenna on the house for obvious reasons. I do prefer to use only the apps on my roku that add value to my entertainment time, and that I don’t mind supporting. I never really cared for “live” television, and the whole concept of catching things when they air in the first place. No, I prefer to watch the shows that I like, when I like to watch them, on demand.

Anyway, back on topic.

3 Likes

I vote use Manjaro, Netrunner for me is not an option as I have sworn off it and its spin offs.
Netrunner has to be the most schizophrenic distro i have ever encountered, with projects like Maui dropped for no reason, switching the entire base of the distro from ubuntu to debian so no PPA’s (another move i dont get) and there was a time where the rolling version wasnt supported anymore.
Then there was nurunner, a side project created by some of the netrunner rolling folks that died as soon as it was released… it didnt live long
With all that in mind i would never user anything netrunner again even if you paid me.

1 Like

Yes, NRR was dropped as a project for a short time, however I never quit supporting our users.

Nurunner was an unofficial fork, nothing more. None of the Netrunner team, nor myself, were ever involved with that project.

NOTE: I may not always agree with the decisions that are made, but I do as I’m asked.

People, we have our preferences and they are valid, for our own reasons.
But as AJSlye put it, it is our prerogative.

I have disagreed (passionately, perhaps) with AJSlye more times than I can recall (intel-ucode, grub-customizer…) before he ‘went’ to netrunner and I don’t like the (new) enlightenment “DE”.

That’s not the point either. He’s very helpful, speaks his mind (which is admirable) and contributes enormously. And let’s not criticize another distro in our Manjaro forum.

By all means, criticize our distro here. :rofl:

9 Likes

What exactly happened with NRR? Since it mostly uses Manjaro repos and @AJSlye continued to support it’s users, in what sense did it die anyway? No new isos and NRR specific packages outdated for a while? This sounds like something that would be mostly harmless to the existing userbase, so I must be missing something?

Since NRR uses Manjaro repos, even if it stopped again, at worst you would be losing the extra value provided by the additional packages. So your NRR installation would just turn into a themed manjaro installation, perhaps with few manual tweaks required.

While Manjaro is a bigger project and not as likely to go under as NRR, I would not consider that a major downside for NRR. It doesn’t seem to be in any too unreliable to try.

2 Likes

Try Netrunner Rolling. It is not that you won’t be able to migrate completely to Manjaro olny repos if you start to dislike it or in case it gets dropped. Any Linux distro can get dropped, Manjaro as well.

2 Likes

you get the same updates as Manjaro, with the exception of our Netrunner specific packages that do get a bit more testing internally before release.

It means that Netrunner user gets updates as quick (or almost) as Manjaro, except packages that aren’t in Manjaro. And there no additional testing for packages that common for Manjaro and Netrunner. Is that correct ?

That is Correct.

@Chrysostomus,
It’s a little more complicated than that. We also ship our own patched versions of some software such as breeze, gmusicbrowser, etc., as well as extra themes, plasmoids, and applications. I just make sure as I’m packaging, that the Netrunner specific packages can easily be removed, swapped out, or completely replaced with upstream packages if need be. However, one would need to take care that they do indeed, replace some key packages prior to rebooting, as to not be left with an unusable system.

2 Likes

Could these patches be used upstream? i.e. are they applicable for Manjaro, Arch, and source?

It seems silly if work is being done twice if it doesn’t need to be.

2 Likes

Not really, they change certain functions that are needed by Netrunner specifically, these are not usually useful to everyone.

Note: Many patches, plasmaids, etc. coming from us, DO tend to make it into upstream eventually, including a couple in the provided link, just not all.

Just a few examples of projects started by Blue Systems developers:
Kicker (Plasma5’s default)
Discover (previously muon)
Simplemenu

http://www.blue-systems.com/#openModal

3 Likes

I think to decide you really need to be asking yourself this; What does netrunner provide, that you NEED, that is NOT provided in Manjaro?

I can’t answer this as I have never used netrunner, but that’s what I’d be asking myself to help me decide which to pick, if I were you.

3 Likes

Hi again, AJSlye. Would you mind to take a look at this question: https://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=24509

I already saw your question there.
However, I’m not a Blue Systems employee, so I can not answer that question.

I started out with Manjaro KDE several years ago but switched to Netrunner Rolling when it was first released, because I was having a few issues with my system and I caught the hopping bug. I wanted a KDE distro and tried SolydK, Mint KDE, Kubuntu, NRR and Chakra. I preferred the theming and overall feel of NRR with the familiarity of the Manjaro base so I switched to NRR. That system was a joy and I used it until a few months after it was discontinued.

When it seemed that NRR was gone for good, I became concerned about some packages not being updated and decided to convert to pure Manjaro. It took some effort but I’m still using my system and wouldn’t consider changing to another distro, even the new NRR based on Manjaro.

Which would I use if I was looking now? I’d have to go with Manjaro.

1 Like

'LLo,

Sorry about the off-topic, but since when?
( E17, I presume as a regular user of Bodhi…) or I confuse everything…? :confused:

As in post E17. It used to be simple, and we just install the packages we like.
Now it wants to be more than that. esudo, terminology, and all the stuff which I forget their names because I remove these after installation. Even their network (again forget the name) is not used in many post-E17 distros. The efl-whatever-name (like GTK or QT) is just not up to par. It’s like a fish and chips street corner stall opening a swanky restaurant selling the same stuff at a higher price. :grin:

But that is just my opinion (since you asked). If you like it, by all means, enjoy.
BTW, that’s why I make my own openbox. Glad I did too, it’s more appealing (IMO) than the pre-E17 for the reasons I used to like Enlightenment. Only much simpler, direct and without bloat. That’s what I liked about linux in the first place.

Of course now linux have much more than basic thingies, and there are certain new things which I find ‘bloated’ and for ‘reasons’ that are superfluous. light-dm with ‘greeter’ and ‘splices’; new file-systems for ‘newer facilities’ at unacceptable costs (rather, cost-benefit ratios). But don’t get me wrong, there are many improvements (on good things already) too that are ‘inspiring’ (can’t find the word here) and worthy of adoption. For example, grub 2 from grub-legacy (I was highly impressed with grub-legacy too and humility aside, quite good in it too) compared with lilo. And yes, despite all the good improvements, there were brickbats on grub 2 when it came out. So I am careful if I too make a wrong impression on the (new) things I tried. gpt, uefi and lots of other stuff are good improvements. But not post-E17. (And lvm, why?)

And yes, kde has all the bells and whistles but they are there to make user facility easier, not just to complicate things or bloat just because they can. And I do enjoy a swanky restaurant once in a while. :grin:

Cheers.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by