How to use Remmina?

Teamviewer is easy but with any other similar program, I just can’t find any info on how to use them. This is so frustrating! It always says: give IP of the remote computer…

• How do I find that IP???
  • Is that IP of the router and the computer is found differently or do I need specific IP of the device but that’s not open to outside internet…
  • What if the remote IP is behind dynamic IP?
  • What if just one of the computers had dynamic IP, other static IP? How it works in one way and how in other?
  • In some connection, it says to give server name. What server? How do I get it?

And plenty other questions. I am just lost and have no idea how it works.

So basically all remote connection programs are useless, aside teamviewer. But if I want to use something other then teamviewer then were do I find some basic info on how to use it? When I read the documentation it omits things that are needed to run it and concentrates on options that I already see in GUI. Am I crazy or developers went insane and have no idea that what they are describing is the most useless thing and most important is never said?

What are the differences between the protocols? Is ssh in Remmina allowing for X server (picture)?

So I have this guide:

but it can’t be less helpful…

So does anyone know how to really use such programs as Remmina?
Which protocol to choose for a usual visual session? How do I find connection details?

0 Likes

If you are are trying to access the computer over the internet then the easiest way to find it’s IP address is by opening http://www.whatsmyip.org/ from the target machine. That should give you the public IP address of the machine you are on. If the machine is behind a NAT, that will the IP address of the NAT. If the machine is on the internet, it will give you the IP address of the machine.

Now if there is a firewall between that machine and the internet, you will need to setup rules to allow incoming connections to the RDP port (or whatever port you are using). If the firewall is also a NAT then you will need to setup a rule to correctly translate/forward packets to the internal IP address of the target machine.

If the connection is TCP/IP then the state of the client’s IP does not matter. It just needs to open a connection to the server, once it does that, all the routers/nats in between will do the right thing. The difficult part is opening that connection. Once it is open you have a two way flow of information. If the connection is UPD (unlikely) you would need to setup rules on the NAT/firewall on the client side to correctly forward packets back to the client machine.

You probably don’t need to worry about this if you don’t know what the server name is, just use the IP address. The server name gets into DNS. When you open www.google.com, your computer uses DNS to find the IP address of the machine by asking some public server’s what the IP address of www.google.com is, for this to work, google had to provide those IP addresses to the DNS servers. Hence if you machine has a name on the internet, you would have had to provide the name to those DNS servers.

3 Likes

Hi, I could recommend you to install xfreerdp and from the terminal execute
xfreerdp Your_connection.rdp.
I could connect to an Azure VM without problems with xfreerdp and I failed when using Remmina. I recieved the following text “Unable to connect to rdp NameOfTheServer”.
I also looked in several forums but I found no answer.
Hope it help
Regards

0 Likes

Thanks, but I cannot expect from a non-tech user to use it to find the ip so I could connect and help. The solution must be “grandma proof”. Again, so far only team viewer has that.

It should also work on dynamic IPs and computers behind routers. Connecting to a server with a static IP (like for azure) is relatively easy. I am interested in other cases thou.

I would like to have team viewer open source alternative, remmina isn’t it. It has to be as easy as team viewer.

0 Likes