How to use "pamac install --overwrite"?

Hello everyone. I’m trying to install vbox-runner-git, which works with krunner, in xfce. Not sure how it will turn out, but I’ve already got krunner installed (not sure how to use it yet as it has no man or --help page) but while installing vbox-runner-git I’m getting this error:

Error: Failed to commit transaction:
conflicting files:
- vbox-runner-git: /lib already exists in filesystem (owned by filesystem)

I’ve tried

pamac install --overwrite vbox-runner-git

but the manual says I need to specify a glob. I’m afraid to try

pamac install --overwrite /lib vbox-runner-git

because there’s a lot of stuff in /lib.

What is the proper way to deal with that error?
`.

:warning: DO NOT :warning: overwrite anything in /lib/.

There is something wrong with the vbox-runner-git PKGBUILD if it tries to write to /lib/ directly. I’ll take a look and get back to you.

1 Like

I’m not an expert but I don’t see anything fishy in the PKGBUILD. Waiting to see what you find.

I added a comment with the details to the AUR package page. The main problem was trying to use kfconfig to find a prefix which can’t be done in the build() function as it can’t access the system.

As linked in my comment use my PKGBUILD for now.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Sir. This will be my 1st time installing from a PKGBUILD but I read how to do it not too long ago.

I think you can simply replace the PKGBUILD in pamac when you build your package from Pamac, click the Edit PKGBUILD button (or whatever it is called in your language) in the popup window, before validating the install (or if you go to the package details, you can also edit the PKGBUILD from here).

1 Like

I actually already built it with makepkg after switching out the PKGBUILD with @Yochanan 's. It was a success…

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                         [########################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                       [########################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                            [########################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                      [########################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                    [########################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing vbox-runner-git                                                                                       [########################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
==> Cleaning up...

Now I just hope it has man page…lol.
Thanks again Yochanan . And thank you too, @omano.

Do you guys suppose krunner would work in Xfce? I’m trying to run my VMs with a proxy.

Nope, but it looks like running step 4 and referencing the screenshot should get you started. :wink:

1 Like

That’s a bit overkill even if it did work. Krunner is just, well, a runner. Perhaps open a new thread since that’s a different topic altogether.

1 Like

Yeah…I actually wasn’t sure if it would work or not.

[user@laptop vbox-runner-git]$ kquitapp5 krunner; kstart5 --windowclass krunner krunner
"Application krunner could not be found using service org.kde.krunner and path /MainApplication."
bash: kstart5: command not found
[user@laptop vbox-runner-git]$

That’s provided by kde-cli-tools. Apparently the developer assumes one already has it installed on a KDE installation. It’s an optional dependency of dolphin and krusader, for one.

1 Like

If you really think krunner would be overkill and thiunk there is a better way to run VMs with a http and https proxy, I can ask in Xfce? Would that be a good spot? I learned to set a proxy here:

Or I guess Network ands Wifi would be a better spot.

Do you really want to install all those KDE dependencies on Xfce? Krunner is just a launcher, there’s got to be a better way.

Yes, #support:network would be a good place to ask. You can add the #xfce tag if you want.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.