How to uninstall optional dependenices with pamac or pacman

The code format or ticks ``` style seem to highlight/bold/color things randomly … I think its supposed to be smart syntax highlighting (that utterly fails in most cases … because it assumes pacman is java or something)

Hmmmm. Just try pamac remove -o

[webcapcha@webcapcha ~]$ pamac remove -o
Preparing...
Checking dependencies...
python-pyqt5 optionally requires qt5-declarative: QtQml, qmlplugin
To remove (11):
  kservice         5.54.0-1    extra
  kdbusaddons      5.54.0-1    extra
  kcrash           5.54.0-1    extra
  kwindowsystem    5.54.0-1    extra
  kconfigwidgets   5.54.0-1    extra
  kwidgetsaddons   5.54.0-1    extra
  ki18n            5.54.0-1    extra
  qt5-declarative  5.12.0-1    extra
  kguiaddons       5.54.0-1    extra
  kconfig          5.54.0-1    extra
  kcodecs          5.54.0-1    extra

Total removed size: 61.9 MB

As far as my system is pretty fresh. It has only 4 application except defaults. Why so many to remove?

Does it corresponding with stable update that i just finished?

If your avatar is correct and you are using XFCE … then yeah those probably arent needed
(they are all KDE or QT things)

1 Like

Was one of the things you removed a kde application? It may have brought all those in as dependencies.

I’m pretty sure that not, except colord-kde which was an optional dependencies for displaycal application.

Well actually then yes, thats it … look at its deps:

colord
kconfigwidgets
kservice
libxrandr
extra-cmake-modules (make)
kcmutils (make)
kitemviews (make)
plasma-framework (make)

(plus the deps of those)

1 Like

I’m so grateful to you guys.

2 Likes

Problem is, if you choose any optional dependencies from the prompt when installing a package via pamac, they’re explicitly installed.

didnt realize. [wakka wakka] . seems like a bug to me.

Sort of logical. I chose them, didn’t I?

Thing is, you only chose Program A because you wanted it installed for Program B. If you eventually uninstall Program B via pamac, Program A will be still be installed. It will not appear as an orphan so you may never realize you don’t need it anymore.

Isn’t the alternative that it will always be an orphan and it will removed every time you remove orphans?

I doubt that many people who use pacman install optional dependencies as dependencies.

split this topic #16

11 posts were split to a new topic: Signature is unknown trust

Right, but we were talking about how pamac handles optional dependencies.

My point is what pamac does is “normal” behavior.

Sure.
My key is actualized and signed.

I have 3 keys active. So…

It means I will not be able to download any other software wich the location is in other host?

What I need to do with my manjaro 32 bits to activate the Manjaro engine, something like configuration of sources…

Or I need to keep original keys?

Please stop hijacking this thread. Your posts were moved here to your own thread:

1 Like

I’m confused then. Normal dependencies are not explicitly installed, they’re “Installed as a dependency for another package.” They will be orphans when said package is removed if not needed by anything else. If one installs optional dependencies explicitly, they will not appear as orphans.

One of us is, it might be me though. :wink:

I thought that when pamac removed orphans it would consider packages that were optional dependencies as orphans. However, when I tried to test that just now, it didn’t work that way.

Actually, look at post #5, it is removing qt5-declarative even though it is an optional dependency of python-pyqt5. I am not sure why optional dependencies are sometimes considered orphans but not others. Hmm…

closed #32

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.