How to set up stable VMs via VirtualBox? (Manjaro host)

I have nicely set up virtual machines (win 7 & win 10 via Vbox) on my old laptop Probook 440 G3, OS linux mint x64. Both machines are functioning as intended. Recently I’ve bought Swift SF314-59 and managed to dual boot manjaro and Win 10. I installed VirtualBox on manjaro following manjaro wiki page. However, when I tried moving my VM’s to manjaro I faced problems in both cases (win 7 & win 10):

1. Win7 got bluescreened on boot. Installing win7 from scratch, also, resulted in bluescreen.
  2. Win10 is working without any problems for some time, then freezes: clicking, pressing any keys results in no respond, at the same time Vbox client doesn’t crash or freeze. Installing Win10 from scratch gives same result with different iso files.

Virtualization is enabled in BIOS. Have no clue what is the origin of the problem. Is it somehow connected to the kernel version?

Host: Swift SF314-59 V1.09
Kernel: 5.10.34-1-MANJARO
Packages: 1798 (pacman), 5 (snap)
Shell: zsh 5.8
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: GNOME 3.38.4
CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.700GHz
GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
Memory: 15805MiB

I’m new to linux. Will be grateful to hear any advice on this topic

That is simple - I have been doing it for years - just remember to enable virtualization in your system firmware.

1 Like

Unfortunately this guide doesn’t contain my specific problems. The installation process mentioned there is similar to the one on manjaro wiki Vbox page. I get that the name of the topic doesn’t states the problem clearly, simply because I don’t know what it is. Do you have any ides on how to fix the problems I’ve mentioned above?

The problem is not isolated to Manjaro but to some specific vm config.

I recommend creating a new vm - then select you virtual disk as the vm disk.

It may be related to the hardware but I cannot comment on specific hardware issues.