Disk not Found after Manjaro Crash - DELL Latitude 5530

Hello everyone,

Yesterday i have installed Manjaro alongside my Win11 installation on my notebook:
Dell Latitude 5530

I did this in the following manner:

1. Disabled Bitlocker
  2. Shrink Partition
  3. Boot LiveUSB
  4. Partition Free-Space for:
    4.1) ~500MB FAT32 → Mount /boot/efi
    4.2) ~60GB linuxswap encrypted → Mount /swap
    4.3) ~500GB ext4 encrypted → Mount /
  5. Install
  6. Reboot into Windows
  7. Reactivate Bitlocker

Everything worked fine. I was able to decrypt the disk on startup and then choose my OS in the Manjaro Bootloader.

Today i wanted to continue setting up my Manjaro.
During the installation of Microsoft Teams, the desktop froze. Trying to switch into another tty did not work. After a cold shutdown i was greeted with the “Boot over IPv4” screen of the notebook.

In the BIOS, i am no longer able to see the disk (M.2 Slots are empty)
I do see the Manjaro bootloader, but starting it prompts me with the error message that no harddrive is installed.

Booting in from a LiveUSB, lsblk does not list any harddrives other than the USB-Stick itself.

Has anybody else experienced any issues like this or does anybody have any ideas whether or not this is recoverable?

Best Regards
Odorwyn

1 Like

is fastboot disabled in bios?
is secure boot disabled in bios?
is AHCI enabled?

1. Fastboot is set to “Minimal”
  2. Secure Boot is disabled
  3. AHCI is enabled

Regarding fastboot, this is what the BIOS states:

1. “Minimal”:
    1.1 Reduces the boot time by skipping certain hardware and configuration initialization during boot

2. “Thorough”
    2.1 Performs complete hardware and configuration initialization during boot

3. “Auto”
    3.1 Allows the BIOS to decide configuration initialization performed during boot.

Do you recon i switch the Fastboot mode to “Thorough”?

fastboot should be disabled, if you have the fastboot option in bios… so set it to thorough, save changes, exit bios, enter bios again, and check if the drive is detected, if not do the same with the auto option…if its still not detected, reset bios to defaults, save changes, exit bios, enter bios, and check …

Thanks for the reply.

No luck unfortunately :confused:

Hi @Odorwyn, and welcome!

If what @brahma doesn’t work, this :point_down:

makes me think it’s something hardware-related.

your disk is not being detected in bios, but you can enter into manjaro grub?
boot into live usb and post output from:
lspci
sudo dmesg | grep sda
sudo dmesg | grep nvm

Hi @Mirdarthos,

thank you for the welcome!
I have encountered the issue previously, however that was when i wiped the whole disk and tried a “clean” install of Manjaro. Same procedure, but there it failed during the installation of manjaro itself.

I tried reseating the SSD but with no luck as well (on the “old” one). I thought this might have something to do with Bitlocker somehow. But being able to dual-boot and then failing after the installation of literally 3 programs?

I was not expecting it to fail like again to be honest.

@brahma
Manjaro is being listed in the “Boot Configuration” yeah. I cannot enter into it as it prompts me with the “No Harddrive installed” BIOS screen.

Edit After resetting BIOS defaults, it no longer shows under “Boot Configuration”

I will try as you suggested

1 Like

that makes sense, i was thinking that the manjaro grub was shown, but you meant that in bios under boot options it was still shown…
this doesnt look good, the disk is probably dead…

lscpi

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4621 (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake Innovation Platform Framework Processor Participant (rev 02)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x4 Controller #0 (rev 02)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #0 (rev 02)
00:07.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev 02)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Gaussian & Neural Accelerator (rev 02)
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 02)
00:0d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P Thunderbolt 4 NHI #0 (rev 02)
00:12.0 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Device 51fc (rev 01)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 01)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 01)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 01)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 01)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Device 51e3 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 51b1 (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH eSPI Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH-P SMBus Host Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH SPI Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (16) I219-LM (rev 01)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: KIOXIA Corporation Device 000c
72:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS525A PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

dmesg | grep sda

[    4.949269] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 60063744 512-byte logical blocks: (30.8 GB/28.6 GiB)
[    4.950062] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[    4.950070] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[    4.950757] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    4.954871]  sda: sda1 sda2
[    4.958041] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

dmesg | grep nvm

[    1.031734] nvme 0000:01:00.0: platform quirk: setting simple suspend
[    1.031763] nvme nvme0: pci function 0000:01:00.0
[    1.036784] nvme nvme0: Identify Controller failed (17089)
[    1.036786] nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -5

Looks like a dead disk to me :point_up:

Jesus christ…

Any idea on what might have caused that? Just so i dont fry a third SSD?
I would actually like to use Manjaro :confused:

the disk was probably already damaged as you mentioned above that you had issues with it, and this just killed it completely …

This :point_down:

The issues i had were with a different disk in a different laptop of the same model.
I just find it hard to believe in coincidence with 2 laptops failing within the timespan of a week. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

i was reffering to this … but if you had the same model of disk fail, maybe the type of nmv doesnt sit well with linux/arch?

I thought so too, but then again, booting and installing the other apps worked as expected.
Anyways, i ordered another SSD and will try my luck with that one…

Thanks guys for taking the time!

Best Regards
Odorwyn

Sorry there wasn’t any better news. The only other thing I can think of, is that it’s the nVME controller…you can try running a SMART test o the disk and see what happens, but I doubt it will point you in any specific direction, to be honest. To run the test, execute the following:

sudo smartctl -t short /dev/nvme0

And/or:

sudo smartctl --all /dev/nvme0

Note: That last one can take very long to complete.

Edit:

Just thought of this, but what if the crash was because of the controller/drive? There could be something in the logs, even. Let’s try and see. Please provide the output of:

journalctl --boot=-1 --priotrity=3

…run from a chroot environment. I’m assuming you know how to enter a chroot environment. If not:

How to enter a chroot environment:

1. Ensure you’ve got an ISO.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot environment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment oon your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart.

Hey man,

Thanks i will try that!

1 Like

Hey there,

Since the Disk is not found at all it is neither listed under the /dev/ mounts nor am i able to chroot over to a persistent installation.

I will have a look into Win2Go and try some Dell-Diagnostics. Will keep you updated in case i find anything usefull.

Thanks again :slight_smile: