How to set automatically xorg with free driver for nvidia

I uninstalled driver:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-340xx

Now graphic Manjaro configuration shows me that I have video-driver. Does it mean it is nouveau?

The problem is:

sudo mhwd-gpu --status 
:: status
warning: could not find '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf'!

I read wiki and I wanted to set xorg configuration

mhwd-gpu --setxorg [path]

but what is the proper path?

After uninstalling proprietary driver I don’t have graphic nvidia-settings.

How can I properly install free driver and create automatically xorg in proper path?

nouveau is part of the kernel, you don’t need to install it. The nouveau Xorg driver is in the xf86-video-nouveau package (it’s probably already installed). I’d wager and say that without any configuration Xorg should start up and use the nvidia gpu.

Indeed, system started but when loading plasma there were some glitches, so I thought some configuration may help. But I hoped it can be done automatically, because I am not able to configure it myself because of lack of knowledge.
But should I ignore this status output or it is better to create at least automatic configuration file?

If you don’t have any specific options you want to configure, then I don’t think it’s needed. Maybe read this page and see if you find anything relevant.

Hi!
Using noveau you’ll should have some gliches and tearing using OpenGL renderer. Deppending of your graphics card, try changing OpenGL 3.1 to 2.1 or xrender

Thank you very much for this information. Thanks to this I was finally able to to start system with kernel 5.9 while previously I had black screen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.