How to retreive files,setting from broken linux system

I was updating my Manjaro System and there was power cut in my area so the update was interrupted. After starting my system, it showed an error : '/boot/vmlinuz… not found. error: you need to load the kernel first.

after trying many fixes that i found online it messed up my system even more and now my system just starts, shows black screen and restarts.

i can see those files on my PC using live usb media

I’m now going to do a fresh installation of manjaro and was wondering if there was a way that i could get my files,themes,settings,configuration etc. back that i can apply after new installation.

PS: I’m NOOB at linux :confused:

Copy them elsewhere, on another drive, or cloud.

You can also copy your entire home directory, but if you had something corrupted there, then it will take effect on the new install too, but your files can be saved …

1 Like

thank you so much but can making backup with clonezilla work? i also have files and programs outside home directory(for example: /opt and themes and icons)

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I would recommend trying the following first… Boot up from the live USB and open up a terminal window. In this terminal window, issue the following commands… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a

If you have only one GNU/Linux installation on your system, press 1.

Now issue the following commands and let the process finish… :arrow_down:

pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu
grub-install --recheck --modules="part_msdos part_gpt"
update-grub
exit

It should be safe to reboot after this, and then hopefully you’ll have your system back. :wink:

3 Likes
1 Like

I suggest creating a partition for your /home directory. This way, any future problems with the system makes recovering all your settings much easier.

1 Like
OUTPUT:

manjaro@manjaro-gnome Linux 5.8.11-1-MANJARO x86_64 20.1.1 Mikah
~ >>> sudo su
[manjaro-gnome manjaro]# manjaro-chroot -a
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda2]
–> mount: [/mnt]
–> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
[manjaro-gnome /]# pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/pacman-mirrors”, line 20, in
from pacman_mirrors import pacman_mirrors
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/pacman_mirrors.py”, line 31, in
from pacman_mirrors.builder import common, fasttrack, interactive
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/builder/common.py”, line 24, in
from pacman_mirrors.builder.builder import build_pool
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/builder/builder.py”, line 26, in
from pacman_mirrors.functions.outputFn import write_custom_mirrors_json
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/functions/outputFn.py”, line 23, in
from pacman_mirrors.functions import customFn
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/functions/customFn.py”, line 22, in
from pacman_mirrors.functions import defaultFn
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/functions/defaultFn.py”, line 23, in
from pacman_mirrors.functions import pools
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/functions/pools.py”, line 23, in
from pacman_mirrors.functions.httpFn import get_ip_country
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pacman_mirrors/functions/httpFn.py”, line 27, in
import ssl
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/ssl.py”, line 98, in
import _ssl # if we can’t import it, let the error propagate
ImportError: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[manjaro-gnome /]#