Steam Proton Games not working after installing NVIDIA Driver 470xx

I have an RTX 3070. I tried playing Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, before installing the 470xx drivers, it started up, but didn’t run very well.
That’s when I realised I didn’t have the latest drivers installed, but after installing them, the game wouldn’t start up at all, when launching it would show a black screen for a short period and then crash.

It must be some sort of proton issue since native games run perfectly fine.
I have tried reinstalling Proton and deleting the compatdata folder already, didn’t help.

These are the logs when I try launching the game:

Does anyone know how I could fix this? Help would be appreciated.

Hello @sanimani,

why do you install the 470-drivers for a RTX3070?

Can you please post the output from this command, that we know which hardware you are running:

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --width

And then the output from these 2 commands please:

mhwd -l
mhwd -li

This information could help us to help you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t see any errors in the log.
But it really makes no sense to run an RTX with the 470 drivers

Like above said, use mhwd -l to see what the system recommends.

Hi weingeist & kisun,
i don’t know much about graphics cards, but what is the reason to not use the 470 drivers with a RTX card. Where do you get those kind of information from and another question. I have an old GeForce 750 Ti, should i install anything else than the “video-nvidia” driver. I didn’t install 390 and not the 470 driver, what would you recommend ?

Because it is an old driver.

If it works with the latest driver, why would you want an older driver?

As for if you should use something else like a hybrid intel or amd driver, ask your system.
mhwd -l

> 0000:02:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2023.09.12                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1380) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
          video-nvidia            2023.03.23               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2023.03.23               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2023.03.23               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

and mhwd -li --pci

> Installed PCI configs:
          video-nvidia            2023.03.23               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

What about network driver ? Should i install ?

He said he had a nvidia GTX 750 Ti, this card is EOL and is only supported from a legacy driver… the 470 driver should be the right choice.

But why @sanimani used this legacy driver with a 3070 (which gets fully support), is another story that would be intrested to know.

No, he said “I have video-nvidia installed, should I install 470 or 390 driver?” and my answer was “if you already use the newest driver and it works, why would you want to change to an older?”.
I did not search online for specific driver for that card, but mhwd seems to agree with the choice of the latest driver but maybe that is a bug or mhwd has not been informed by nvidia, IDK.

But @Handspuehler you should probably start your own tread instead of using this.

Where did you get this bit of information?

Yes it’s an older card but it is still supported by the latest driver, and I should know, I am using right this very minute.

Should you doubt my answer, have a look here:

He said he had a nvidia GTX 750 Ti, this card is EOL and is only supported from a legacy driver… the 470 driver should be the right choice.

Now i found something, that makes your posting almost right, but in my case not.
When you browse on the endoflife-site for nvidia you find under GPU Support a link to the legacy driver series. The site is called “Plan for Kepler-series GeForce GPUs for Desktop” and i asked myself if my GeForce GTX 750 Ti would be a Kepler or not, than i clicked on the Link List of Kepler series GeForce Desktop GPUs, which leads to the site with the detailed answer. Many of the 600er Series cards (like the GTX 650 Ti) and many of the 700er Series cards (like the GTX 760 Ti) are mentioned, but not the GTX 750 Ti.

That’s a bit odd to be honest.

But my recommendation is to listen to mhwd, you will probably be notified somehow when the card slips out of newest driver.
Maybe they will create a new legacy driver for that and other cards.
If not you will probably start noticing bugs when it happens.
Until then, use latest.

It was in Media a few years ago, that nvidia put nvidia Kepler 7xx Cards in EOL… but as @Handspuehler said already, that the big difference is the 750/750 Ti because this card was released later and based on Maxwell Chip… so you both are lucky now… other Keplers can’t use the newest 545 driver.

It’s because the 750 Ti aren’t Kepler, they’re Maxwell based.

I see you’ve edited your comment while I was typing mine.

OK, it is here.

Check the compatibility of the games with the specific NVIDIA driver version you’ve installed. Sometimes, certain games might have issues with specific driver versions, and forums or community discussions might highlight these compatibility problems.