How to rename the external HDD from its UUID to an intelligible name?

I had an old external HDD that I have formatted from ntfs to ext4 by using gparted. Then I have launched chown -R MYUSERNAME /run/media/USERNAME/UUIDNR/ to be able to write on it (without that I would have need sudo rights to do that).

Now I can write on it and use properly but I am wondering how I could rename this disk. By now it is called by its UUID. How could I rename it for instance “Blackbird” (or “Revolution”) instead of seeing its UUID in my file manager thunar or in the mounting point (/run/media/USERNAME/UUIDNR). In gparted, I gave a name to disk but it does not appear in my file manager.

I have not really ideas but I am wondering if I could do this by modifying my /etc/fstab file? But I am probably totally wrong…

Thanks for your attention!

You should be able to mount it in etc/fstab, I have a laptop with nvme (manjaro on that) and a 1tb hdd. I mounted the hdd as home/data in my fstab

1 Like

Run this as root

#  e2label /dev/sdyX "disk_name"

I recommend to avoid space as this can give you path issues - if you need space use the low-dash (_).

If you want a more permanent predictable location - you can use systemd mount units and for removable devices like network locations and usb - it is recommended to use an additional automount unit.

1 Like

You can use names.
My last system disk, for example, a Sandisk SSD…
I wiped it and put on an ext4 partition, with the label ‘SSD’.
I set it to mount at /mnt/SSD
So it is called SSD and is my system download folder. T3 is my 3TB Toshiba, T4 is my 4TB Toshiba, W2 is an ancient 2TB Western Digital…

I used Gnome-disks to set these up, but since then (as they’re internal and not changeable) they’re mounted with systemd at boot.

LABEL=T3	/mnt/T3	auto	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show	0	0
LABEL=T4	/mnt/T4	auto	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show	0	0
LABEL=SSD /mnt/SSD auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/swapfile none swap defaults 0 0
1 Like

Thanks for your answers @sawdoctor , @linux-aarhus and @Ben !
I have made it with your method, Frede (if I may) since it seemed to me to be the easiest) and after rebooting it has completely worked!

Thanks again to you three!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.