Can't find snaps in application launcher

I just clean installed manjaro a few weeks ago and I was trying to install notepad++ using sudo snap install notepad-plus-plus
and it went through the regular process. However, when I searched for the app in the application launcher i coudn’t find it. If someone can help, I would be very grateful

I don’t get why anyone uses snaps. :nauseated_face:

notepad++ is in the AUR, and notepadqq is in the repo.

5 Likes

It is not only for notepad ++. It happened with 23 other apps

Seems like information that should’ve been in your first post. :smiley:

Lets check they were installed properly: snap list

Assuming they were installed, normally I’d suggest you’d need to put a .desktop file somewhere, that could be the case with snaps too, but I don’t use them so… :man_shrugging:

My advice is to not use snaps at all…but perhaps someone who uses them will know how to solve it.

EDIT:

I’ve changed the title to hopefully better reflect the issue, of course if you disagree feel free to change it again. :smiley:

As different members maintain different profiles and their personal opinion is reflected with how the profile is put together.

As the snap store’s value is highly disputed in the community, the ISO maintainers are allowed leeway to put the ISO together as they see fit.

It appears - from your profile - you are using KDE Plasma and the ISO profile does not include setting up a ready to use snap functionality.

If you want a working snap store there is some configuration to be done beforehand

1. Ensure you have the relevant packages installed
    sudo pacman -Syu snapd apparmor xdg-desktop-portal-kde

2. Enable and start the following services
    sudo systemctl enable --now  snapd.apparmor snapd.socket

Dont you just need to enable/start snapd.socket (not snapd.service)?
Also, for what its worth, while doing some quick testing I could install and run ponysay snap after having the services/sockets started… without needing to (re)boot with those boot options.
(a warning about apparmor was thrown at first - so I started the two mentioned … I did not continue to check operation without them)

1 Like

I must say I am not a huge fan of snap - I merely took the configuration used from the xfce iso-profile.

If you can leave be with snapd.socket - I am OK with that - I was going to test - but you beat me to it.

The only reason I have snapd installed is due to manjaro-tools having a hard dependency for buildiso script :slight_smile:

Same, though I have no-deps removed a few other things and none of my ISOs use it … dunno why its still here.

(well, most recently I had to take a quick look at snap,flatpak, etc for ‘maclean’ so theres that)

I revised my earlier comment based on your feedback an my test.

To validate if a shorcut was actually available I installed *chromium from snap store.

And a shortcut was correctly appearing in the launcher.

I wouldn’t recommend snap or flatpak unless you are certain it is from the developer(s) of the app.

Anyone with a computer can create a flatpak or a snap (inject malicious content) and upload to the store.

2 Likes

I, for one, would be fascinated to see the list… it would be an interesting discussion as to whether you actually need snapd.

I suspect the issue might be the web’s love of all things Ubuntu and Canonical managing to get snap installations high on the list of search results…

Basically, when anyone suggests snap install crapware you can open pamac and search ‘crapware’ and find alternatives - alternatively in terminal you can do yay crapware.

Manjaro users tend to be very acidic about the SnapCrap phenomenon - we are not fans. Personally I’m fascinated to find out if there is actually anything worth installing from the Crapstore that we can’t get from Pacman or AUR.

Last year, Plex-HTPC was released only as a Snap for Linux - I did yay Plex-HTPC and, Lo and Behold, the pkgbuild downloaded the snap package and installed it natively as a binary.

This year it is available via Flatpak, which is acceptable for a wider audience of Linux users who don’t have the AUR.

Praise be the AUR.

1 Like