How to reduce memory usage on my 2-in1 laptop with 2Gb ram?

Hello,

I installed Kde plasma on my 2-in1 laptop with 2Gb ram . I really want to use Kde plasma on my 2-in1 laptop.
Is possible to reduce to maximum (for example +/-500Mo) the usage of memory on my 2-in1 laptop with tips and tricks for KDE ?

Thanks a lot.

Hm.
Maybe you can start with this from the old forum (it was never completed)

For reference … I was able to get my plasma down to about 400mb.
Recent changes and some extra widgets I added … I boot more into ~650mb now.
But your goal should be roughly possible.

@cscs: thanks for your reply and your link.

I will be very happy if I can get plasma down to 400mb or 600mb.

• Is it a good idea to disable baloo or reduce usage of baloo ?
  • Use a script like this: sudo sh -c ‘echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches’ on startup ?
  • Disable krunner ?
  • What desired background services can I disable ?
  • What systemd services can I disable ?

I enabled systemd-swap, so zram is used. But I don’t know if it is a good idea with 2Gb ram.

Regards.

!!! News !!! : My memory disk cache is in high demand. This greatly reduces the space remaining in memory. I did some research on the net, and noticed that you could reduce memory disk cache usage by modifying drop_caches (/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches). There are 2 methods for this:

1. sync; echo x > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    Note: x can be 1, 2 or 3.

2. sync & sudo sysctl -w vm.drop_caches = x
    Note: x can be 1, 2 or 3.

If I use the second method, is it permanent? Does the kernel will regular the memory disk cache when it is using ?

I also want to tell you that I used systemd-swap but it increased my memory disk cache, so I disabled it.
I don’t know if I can use a swap partition on an Emmc disk because I don’t want to kill it.

Thanks.

!!!News2!!!: I tried vm.drop_caches and it works very well. I got half of my ram back after using this and it does not cause memory disk cache problems. I don’t know if I can use it that often. Maybe with a cron job ?

Gnome seems more suitable for tablets. I will try Manjaro Gnome and let down KDE.

This topic can be closed.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.