How to provide good information

Any proposals are welcome, as long they are following some design standards and symbolism meaning is not projected all over the places. :slight_smile:

example to display code

uname -a

https://filebin.net/niakyb4qewcbmq3z

1 Like

I think this topic should be Pinned in every Support category. People that come there for help won’t go here to read it.

6 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t post links or inxi output

You can also type the language immediately after the first three backticks of the code chunk to alter the syntax highlighting (as is done in GitHub markdown), e.g.

Code input chunk (zsh):

uname -a

Code output chunk (text):

Linux Scatha 5.8.9-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Sat Sep 12 17:28:38 CEST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Although I’m not sure which languages are supported. text definitely works to strip all syntax highlighting from the output.

2 Likes

@cscs Could you provide (more) info on what this specific command (I mean the -Fazy part) does?

man inxi

-F, --full
              Show Full output for inxi. Includes all Upper Case line letters  except  -W,
              plus --swap, -s and -n. Does not show extra verbose options such as -d -f -i
              -l -m -o -p -r -t -u -x unless you use those arguments in the command, e.g.:
              inxi -Frmxx
These options are triggered with --admin or -a. Admin options are  advanced  output
       options, and are more technical, and mostly of interest to system administrators or
       other machine admins.

The --admin option sets -xxx, and only has to be used once.  It  will  trigger  the
       following features:

(note from cscs - and then a bunch to list .. suffice to say its 'extra info')
-z, --filter
              Adds  security filters for IP addresses, serial numbers, MAC, location (-w),
              and user home directory name. Removes Host:.  On by default for IRC clients.
-y, --width [integer]
              This  is  an  absolute  width override which sets the output line width max.
              Overrides COLS_MAX_IRC / COLS_MAX_CONSOLE globals, or the actual  widths  of
              the terminal. 80 is the minimum width supported.  -1 removes width limits. 1
              switches to a single indented key/value pair per line, and removes all  long
              line wrapping (similar to dmidecode output).

If no integer value is given, sets width to default of 80.
4 Likes

Thanks, maybe good to include this in topic text as hidden text?

Btw, the inxi -Fazy command gives an error under Manjaro Arm, stating the -y is not supported. -Faz still works though. Well, maybe I ask in the Arm section about this.

That’s a cosmetic switch: no influence on actual data presented, so whenever you see inxi -y or inxi --width just drop those and no one will even notice… :wink:

1 Like

I notice.
Its nice for formatting.
But yes … of course, not required for any actual data.

And … 2 posts above pretty clearly states it is for ‘width’ :wink:

(Why do I suggest “Fazy”? Because after talking to inxi dev… they convinced me it was probably best. :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like