[HowTo] Provide System Information

SWAP was always provided by the original suggestion Fazy.
As was memory. And boot options.
What v7 does additionally provide is:

• Processor Flags
  • IP, Bluetooth, Logical, RAID, Optical/Floppy sections
  • UUIDs for mounted partitions
  • USB, Unmounted device sections

These are very rarely required, and arguably do have anonymity implications.

Im reverting the change, which I did not apply in the first place :wink:

I’d like to suggest using a common icon to preface each Tutorial rather than using ‘[HowTo]’ – having ‘How To’ perhaps in the [html] title of the link would then be sufficient, if still desired.

There is reasoning behind using an icon:

• Extra space is made available for the Tutorial title. However minor, every amount of space reserved for the title has the effect of increasing readability.
  • As evidenced in forums globally, usage of “HowTo” is frequently misunderstood, especially by non-fluent-English-speakers who seem to interpret the term as a preface to a question.
    This quickly becomes an annoyance when results of a web search include, for example: “[HowTo] The Topic I’m Looking For”; and the opened page content is basically “How do I do this thing??? Pls Halp!!!”.
  • A carefully selected icon ideally will be instantly recognisable as a Tutorial or similar set of instructions; as opposed to being a standard forum post. Also, being human, we tend to react more favourably to visual stimulus; from a psychological perspective.

Thoughts?

1 Like

This tutorial is superseded by this one. Remember all Tutorials are wiki posts that can be edited by TL2 (Trust Level 2) members and above.