How to provide good information

dmesg requires sudo.

6 Likes

missing option --no-host for inxi

4 Likes

I thought this post was locked.
But modern inxi shouldnt require --no-host

…oh look, Stable still has a stale version. Not sure if its implemented there?

Depends on config … is that the default ?

I think it was changed by the Manjaro team.

You probably have switched it off by changing the setting in /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf

echo 'kernel.dmesg_restrict=0' | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf

Yeah. Changed in May 2019.

2 Likes

It also possible install via pamac/pacman ( in GNOME ia already there ) manjaro-logs-helper

11 Likes

What online service does it use to send to ?

PS - the inxi is odd. Its missing things like boot params (-a), and is also doing pointless -c0 which is ‘no color output’.

PPS - restored simpler inxi command thanks to stable update and added m-l-h

1 Like

The topic is a good start :+1:t2:

I recommend to describe how to replace the username within the logs with the person’s forum account name.

Since each log has a different layout, a “simple” addition of “pipe sed” of all mentioned commands does not suffice unfortunately.

All of them should work fine with something like this:

COMMAND(S) | sed "s/$HOSTNAME/HOST/gI" | sed "s/$USER/USER/gI"
1 Like
  1. I’m going to say is one last time this year: inxi --full --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host is better than inxi -Fazy :innocent:

2. Could you change that to:

export LANG=C; inxi 

As for anyone that has an English version installed, it doesn’t do any harm but for any other language out there, at least we’ll get the output in English…

:grin:

10 Likes

For this purpose I agree with @Fabby regarding the usage of the long version of parameters.

The export is not needed:

LANG=C inxi ..

is better, as it sets the language only for this one command and not for the remaining shell (which could confuse some people).

Most of the time, I ask for multiple commands (inxi, journalctl, … so then an export is :sunglasses: as it keeps the English version until the terminal is closed…)

So it’s easier on the end-user: they now know to type export LANG=C before providing any output in the future…

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

@cscs

For applications it could be useful to add something like:

1. Start the application in a terminal and post the output here.
  2. Where to find the command for the application
  3. check --help and see if there is a verbose or debug mode.

Would be easier to quote it instead of writing it again and again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ad icons for Manjaro-helper for luncher

https://filebin.net/5xs0zw3q5keus82c   https://filebin.net/8m80879e3uqa645f

1 Like

One of those uses the old Manjaro logo … also … this image is a medical sign. We don’t provide medical help, is technical help :wink:

I agree that you provide technical support but the technical support brings peace of mind and therefore partly medical treatment! Do you agree? If I change the red of the cross to green, for example, it may refer to technical assistance!

2 Likes

No, I do not agree.

Green Cross is a symbol of nature and life, so no …

1 Like

ok I respect your position and I was preparing some alternative proposals. If you want to see them i’'ll send them

1 Like

Any proposals are welcome, as long they are following some design standards and symbolism meaning is not projected all over the places. :slight_smile:

1 Like

example to display code

uname -a