How to properly enable wayland on KDE with Nvidia on a laptop?

any idea what ‘xorg-xwayland’ is?
i see it mentioned a lot,
arch wiki says “run X clients under wayland”.
is it meant to be used instead of full Wayland for people having trouble running Wayland?
or in addition to it to avoid issues in some apps?

Oh you said it was xorg-wayland,not xorg-xwayland :sweat_smile:.

Yes I have that installed as well,but it was preinstalled with Manjaro so you might have it.

1 Like

you are right, i re-checked in pamac and there was no xorg-wayland :slight_smile:
any idea what that’s meant for?

also is Wayland worth it?do you see better performance?

You already read it

As for worth it maybe in the next plasma version with a more polished NVIDIA driver,right now is not very stable,nor saw an better performance in games.

1 Like

so i might try it or wait a bit longer until it has something to offer over Xorg.

See:

1 Like

it looks like it’s meant for Gnome and that’s quit a procedure to follow .

Only one step is specifically for GNOME. Skip it if you’re not using it. :wink:

Actually, a few steps are. I’ll edit it and make it a bit clearer.

1 Like

so how come people are “getting away” with only installing the 3 packages i mentioned before?

Because they’re not using GNOME. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just edited the tutorial to make it clearer.

1 Like

i tried Wayland with only installing the 3 aforementioned packages;
i forgot that optimus manager doesn’t currently support Wayland,so i was put on the Intel GPU.
i don’t feel like messing with the settings Yochanan mentioned since even on Intel the performance was subpar;many glitches,slow loading pages on FF and so on.
so i have seen enough for the time being :upside_down_face:

Will it be possible to use Wayland on Kde with Nvidia drivers without having to change kernel configurations and such in the future?, like installing the packages and you are ready to go, will this be possible when Wayland support from Nvidia evolves, or the modeset thing will be a must always?. I’m thinking about waiting for an out of the box support to be sure that I don´t break anything in my system.

Do I only need to install the packages mentioned here and trying to log in with Wayland? or do I need to do any extra step to use Wayland?.
Do I have to set nvidia-drm.modeset=1? Or it should run with no more configurations?.
Any specific kernel is needed?.
I have nvidia-prime 470 drivers and everything updated.

1 Like

KDE is :poop: on Wayland. Instead of opening a new thread you should have probably replied to the thread you mentioned asking exactly the same thing, I guess.

Using Wayland is not a one way street - at the next login you can choose to use Xorg again.

I tried it and I get a black screen and a freeze, this is the log from wayland-session.log:

No backend specified through command line argument, trying auto resolution
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5089:46: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5091:48: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5093:48: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5097:47: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5099:46: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5107:48: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5111:46: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5113:46: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5117:45: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose:5120:46: this compose sequence is a duplicate of another; skipping line

Well, I have been using it on my desktop for some months now.

And besides the odd glitch and bug here and there, it’s usable. It’s no where near as bad as people try to make it. But I don’t use Nvidia.

Wayland on Nvidia is a different story all together.

yep. bug, glitches. I don’t see the benefit to go from Xorg fully working with no glitches and weird bug when you click here and there, to wayland, with weirdness to discover here and there.

Gnome has those aswell, so it’s not specific to KDE.

Yep. Threads merged.