How to mount second disk during install?

So…

Since i’m going to reinstall Manjaro, i have 2 SSDs.
One Nvme, and other that i formatted to BTRFS that used to have a Windows install, now it’s just a backup storage disk.

During the installation, is it going to be mounted automatically?
Or am i going to have to set the mount point?
It has my data on it, so i don’t plan on formatting it, but do i need to mount it, or will it be recognized when the system installs?

Also, i plan to format the Nvme and install Manjaro to it like it is now.
Is there any special partition scheme i should know?
Currently, the entire / is just one partition + swap, but should i maybe do it some other way?

These are a lot of questions :wink:

• During the installation, is it going to be mounted automatically?
    No

• Or am i going to have to set the mount point?
    No, just ignore it while installing
    Later on, in the installed system you need to set one or more mountpoints into fstab

• It has my data on it, so i don’t plan on formatting it, but do i need to mount it, or will it be recognized when the system installs?
    No It will not be recognized. It will be left as it is.

• Is there any special partition scheme i should know?
    When using btrfs you only need

• one partition for EFI
    • one partition for btrfs (one volume !)
      • subvolume /@ (/ in filesystem)
      • subvolume /@home (/home in filesystem)
    • one partition for swap (at least as big as your RAM)

In the wiki you will find plenty of information about btrfs and about partitioning

2 Likes
2 Likes

If you’re using a normal filesystem eg ext4 then you should consider a separate home partition.

1 Like

You could add a manual mountpoint for it i guess, but that can be done later also like @andreas85 already said…

When you’re going to use BTRFS it’s also possible to use the whole disk without partition table :wink:
Or use a whole disk encryption with BTRFS inside, again without a partition table… :wink:
(You would need another drive to boot from in that case)

1 Like

Thanks all!
So, just install on the nvme, ignore the SSD, and sort it out later. Got it! :slight_smile:

How much space should i give /? It’s a 500GB nvme.

I’m gonna use BTRFS, but nothing fancy, just normal partitioning, /, home and swap, no encryptions, it’s a home computer, doesn’t need anything too special.

1 Like

Be careful with swap on BTRFS, it needs special actions… better dont use swap inside BTRFS…

What do you mean by that? Isn’t swap its own partition?

1 Like

Normally yes, but some people create a swap file inside the BTRFS, so if you’re going the partition way you will be outside it anyhow :+1:

1 Like

Ah! I see, no i’ll create just the normal swap partition, not actually inside BTRFS partition. :slight_smile:

2 Likes