How to mount another partition as /home?

I just installed Manjaro and I want to mount my previous /home partition as my current /home directory/partition. The previous one is currently mounted as /dev/sda4. I don’t know how to work with partitions and stuff that much, so please keep it stupid simple.

See this:

1 Like

provided it was indeed a previous /home (ext4) partition;

first run;

lsblk -f

find the relevant UUID for sda4

then add this to /etc/fstab;

UUID=<UUID-of-sda4> /home           ext4    nosuid,nodev,noatime 0 2

you may additionally have to move/backup the existing /home directory (created by fresh manjaro install)

sudo mv /home /homebak

reboot and see if everything is back, if everything s ok, remove backup home

sudo rm -fr /homebak
2 Likes

Bad advice, Brother. /home is a system directory, and in this case, it serves as a mountpoint.

If you are going to rename the mountpoint, then there won’t be any /home directory anymore on the root filesystem, and then what is the new partition going to be mounted to?

3 Likes

guilty as charged!

oops, horrible advise indeed from my part, on the absent /home to mount in the first place. i guess we all ought to help the problem at hand and I messed it up while trying to keep it “stupid simple” i guess. the only real attempt thus so far has instructions to move home directory, not to use an existing one.

so should it be backup existing /home directory, and remove all user directories within /home directory.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Mounting a 2nd HDD as home