How to merge the XFCE Panel and Dock?

Hello, there!

I wish you could help me merge the Dock with the Panel in Manjaro XFCE.

I’m used to the Windows panel where everything is integrated, like the App Menu, Favorite Apps, the icons of some apps running in the background, and system icons like WiFi/Ethernet, Volume, etc.

My problem with XFCE’s default interface and behavior is that open apps that sit on the panel don’t behave the same way as they do on Windows, which would be:

• Choose which favorite app is on the Dashboard to open;
  • Click on the chosen app;
  • The app opens via/using the SAME icon, without opening another icon of the same app.

I can also get this way to open and close programs via the same icon using Dash to Panel for Gnome.

In summary, I didn’t want to have to deal with two Panels or a Panel and a Dock in XFCE and wanted all my favorite apps to be opened and closed via the same icon.

Sorry if I couldn’t be as clear as possible, but I did my best to ask for this help around here.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not entirely sure what you mean with the dock here. But you can configure the panel in xfce under preferences, to do the things you just described.

Personally i prefer a clean and empty look, so my bottom panel shows only the button for the whisker menu and the opened applications. But it can be modified to include other items by default.

it’s called xfce4-docklike-plugin in aur.