Expectations from a stable release : an user's perspective

I know, but my point is that these fixes should’ve been applied in testing, not stable. Anyways, thanks for replying.

Great. Switch to Testing or Unstable branch to help out testing the packages and update process.
That’s what’s going to help.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve read these too. I do love the Manjaro community and this forum is the only one where people actually DO reply with actual help, instead of RTFM.

Would love to but I have only 1 machine( daily driver) that I cannot risk testing on. Sorry if I came across as whiny, I just wanted the betterment of this distro.

1 Like

You can’t have your cake and eat it.

If everyone is expecting others to do the testing, you see the problem? Some issues can not be spotted before it hits the other 99.9% of Manjaro users on Stable branch (number out of my ass, but probably close to reality).

Another solution is to wait a couple days before updating your system as the few issues with packages will be quickly sorted.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand, and I really plan to move to testing once I get a new machine. But till then this is the way I guess. Thanks!

2 Likes

The real answer is @Strit 's one and therefore I’ve marked that as an answer, but you can help yourself a lot by:

• Keeping at least 2 LTS kernels on your system and boot the latest one unless you run into trouble there and then you boot the previous one…

• use pamac upgrade from a command-line to upgrade.

• Ensure grub is showing while booting:

• Execute:

sudo nano --backup /etc/default/grub

• Change (or add?) the following 3 lines:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
      #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
      #GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

(3 or higher is fine, add the # before the lines above if those lines are present)

• Ctrl+X Y Enter to save if there is anything to save

• If you did save, execute:

sudo update-grub

• Reboot

• Read the #announcements

• Read the list of modules/applications/libraries that are going to be updated before you press Y

• Read the /var/log/pacman.log after updating and follow instructions (especially .pacnew instructions)

• And for heaven’s sake:

:+1:

10 Likes

As a user of Manjaro since 2017, I still consider myself to be a “noob”, and I insist upon the fact that I’m not a contributer. I’m sorry to hear that you have encountered problems with the past few updates. As to “Stable” Branch being “press and forget” I would say “Yay” and “Nay” on that one. As I write I’m updating by the way, and I read the release announce and users comments prior to…it helps when you come across something niggly IMO. So, no blind faith, but measured assurance basically. The Wiki is a good idea as well, notwithstanding the Forum and its members - asked nicely you’ll always find some sort of help :wink:

Semper fi :v:

1 Like

of course you free to try. we’ll love to hear how that goes, if you are having issues with you entitlement here.

seriously, there is a reason why there are rolling release distros as opposed to point release distros. you cannot have same expectations from both. if you expect fire and forget “update” button, then you dont belong here, go install ubuntu

1 Like

I haven’t had any major issues with Manjaro.I started out on the stable branch then switched to testing and now the unstable branch.I have learned to check the forum before doing and major updates to see if there are issues and if there are usually someone has already posted a fix.My main problem is when there’s an update like a new kernel or nvidia driver I have to have it now I can’t wait and yep sometimes I break something.Manjaro is a rolling release so there are times when something isn’t going to go right somewhere.So far and I don’t see it changing anytime soon I’m happy with Manjaro and all the work that goes into trying to please everyone all the time with any and every program driver and app we all expect to just work.

2 Likes

Messages are not in order they were initially.

2 Likes

I’ve been on testing for about 8 months and I’ve not had a single update that has made my machine unbootable/completely unusable. I’m not telling you to switch branches but it is not as perilous as you are making out.

There’s a script in the repos that makes a timeshift backup anytime you update. If you have an update that gives you issues you can easily restore a backup until its fixed.

In manjaros defence there are so many DE’s supported and such a plethora of different hardware its almost impossible for the team to catch every bug

1 Like

why is that important?

1 Like

If you know about grub's Shift magic, it’s not…

If you have no clue what I’m talking about: That’s why!

:grin:

1 Like

care to explain? :slight_smile:
i don’t know about grub's Shift magic.

also what’s the difference between sudo update grub and sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg ? or they’re not related?

This is the content of my /usr/bin/update-grub file:

#! /bin/sh
set -e
exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-documentation.html

There is none

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Alas, that would indeed seem to be the case @omano

“…In manjaros defence there are so many DE’s supported and such a plethora of different hardware its almost impossible for the team to catch every bug…”

And, yet, it does a pretty good job and crossies plenty of tee’s.

1 Like

Yes I understand it now, holding Manjaro, a project maintained and tested by the community to the same standards as Win or Ubuntu( under Canonical) or Fedora(RH) isn’t fair. But still wish the world for Manjaro and would love to contribute to it.

2 Likes

This is a good point, mostly I see others, not the manjaro team, promote manjaro as user-friendly but I can’t find any ‘if you are new to linux start with manjaro’ article on the manjaro site. It does mention simplicity in the sense that is there is some help to get started quickly and there is a streamlined sane defaults approach to everything. As arch is user-centric this flows over to manjaro, as the user of the system the user is choosing to run it, maintain it and be its caretaker.

The Manjaro team do an excellent job of easing the installation and maintenance but the tool must fit the user and their interests.

3 Likes