How to learn linux?

It doesn’t hurt to have Windows on a disk. It’s good to boot it to do something that might not work - some software has no equivalent.

For some workflows - I used to import photos, and use ACDSee to adjust them, and even after I deleted Windows, it was a few months before I worked out that I could do the same balancing in Darktable (bringing up shadows, limiting highlights, and adjusting contrast in a non-linear way), which I couldn’t do in GIMP. This isn’t so relevant now that Linux has moved on so much (anyone here remember Ubuntu Hardy Heron with Gnome2 desktop?)

The other thing which I encountered last year was medical software - looking at my MRI scan files last year, and 4 years ago trying to plug in my old DVD drive and look at the files I got when I had Stents implanted - there’s often only software which will run in Windows, and not WINE which isn’t worth messing with unless you’re using it frequently. So it doesn’t hurt to keep it if you have space. With a desktop it’s better - multiple disks and lots of storage is easier.

My Windows (10) is installed on an old 256GB SSD, I shrank it down and it also has a ‘D:’ NTFS storage partition which gets mounted /mnt/NTFS - so I can save video’s there, then boot Windows and watch some video/walkthrough when I play games.

The biggest hassle I find when I boot Windows is that it takes an absolute age to shut down, and if you don’t wait for it, then those NTFS partitions get marked dirty and don’t work until you reboot Windows and shut it down slowly.

So you do develop a natural defense, to avoid booting Windows whenever you can.

1 Like

there are lots of good courses. linux foundation course for example. and you can also by some books to read

Play around, and whenever you have a specific doubt, read and ask -right here in this forum, for instance. Remember the easy fixes, take notes on the more complicated ones.
In my experience, one of the things that really get you started on a feeling of real ownership of your OS is playing with aliases. For this, start with something simple:

1. In the terminal, go to /usr/share/zsh

2. type ls to see what’s in there.

3. There’s a file called /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-config Make a backup using sudo cp /usr/share/zsh/manjaro-zsh-config manjaro-zsh-config-bu .

4. Now you can edit the ZSH config without too much fear of breaking something. Use a text editor to do so. In Plasma, it should be Kate by default, and I find it more navigable than Nano, but for universality reasons let’s do this with sudo nano zsh/manjaro-zsh-config . Remember that in Nano, you can only move the text cursor with the arrow keys, the mouse won’t really work.

5. In Nano, look for the section of the file where the aliases are -they all have the form alias whatever='your alias'

6. At the end of that list, type # My own aliases -This simply makes it easier for you to read, the # serving to make the computer skip that line, mark a comment.
    After that line, you can include your own aliases. For example:
    # Find orphans
    alias forph='sudo pacman -Qtdq'
    # Remove orphans
    alias rorph='sudo pacman -Qqdt | sudo pacman -Rns -'
    # cd more than one directory
    alias cd2='cd ../..'
    alias cd3='cd ../../..'
    alias cd4='cd ../../../..'
    alias cd5='cd ../../../../..'

7. Save with Ctrl + O and exit with Ctrl + X after you make sure there are no mistakes.

8. Type source zsh/manjaro-zsh-config to reload your config.

Most of all: have fun, and never be afraid to ask.

1 Like

But with micro you get a terminal text editor nearly as easy as Kate :wink: and you can set themes and make it look good.

1 Like

You can also search on amaz** for Linux books.

1 Like

Pick out some tutorials on howtoforge and see how many you can work through. You’ll get a good feel for how linux works just by simply going through the steps and it’s also a great exercise in troubleshooting as you’ll generally run into at least one issue per tutorial. Ideally, there’ll be some projects on their that will catch your interest.

1 Like

You can download a free ebook about the linux command line : Linux Command Line Books by William Shotts

1 Like

Dont keep cherished or important files on the Hard drive for now. Save them to a largish USB drive until you are comfortable with what you are doing. That way a trashed system can just be re-installed if recovery is too difficult.

1 Like

man huge thanks, i was going to buy this book…

1 Like

+1.

This book is very concise and readable.

1 Like

I’d learned about overall Linux system via LFS + Gentoo. Nowadays Arch + wiki :smiley:

LFS is all about making working system without any package manager and installer. It would show you big picture about how to build and run whole system.

Try LFS on virtualbox. It would be fun.

1 Like

would it be better if i deleted it? in terms of learning linux?

I did.

Mind you I still had to use Windows for Most Programming Contracts.