How to install program that requires old version of gcc?

I would like to install chess scidb on updated Manjaro, the program is very old and it gives me a problem with the gcc version. I’m using the latest version of Manjaro with gcc 11.1.0. Is there any way to install the program without breaking the system? scidb requires gcc 3.4 Clang Version 3.1 Thanks for your attention, and sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

I’m afraid you cannot do that without endeavoring into virtualization, or perhaps running a container. You can then install an older operating system in the virtual machine or container to support that older software.

Manjaro does not support slotted installations with different versions of libraries like what Gentoo does. :man_shrugging:

Flatpak or Snap may be useful in this case.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay in responding, I forgot I had posted this question. Snap and Flatpak was one of the first things I tried, but unfortunately it doesn’t exist for this program. I’ve been reading some tutorials to install gcc34 and link it together with some more commands to try to compile it, but I didn’t want to risk it. I would love to install scidb on an updated version of Linux, it had a lot of nifty options for handling chess database. But I’ll have to settle for the impossibility in this case. Maybe I choose to emulate some old distribution to be able to use the program. Thanks for listening.