How to install nvidia 535.xx drivers on stable branch?

I have very annoying issues with the game Assassin’s Creed Valhalla that are said to be fixed by installing newer nvidia drivers (535.xx).
The Manjaro stable branch right now only offers driver version 530.41.03
Is there a way to install newer drivers when on stable branch?
I own an intel/nvidia hybrid laptop by the way.

No. Switch to the testing or unstable branch if you don’t want to wait for the next stable update.

2 Likes

I was impationed too and tried it last week.
switched to unstable,

pacman-mirrors -B unstable -a  
pacman -Syy
mhwd-kernel -i linux61  
mhwd -i pci video-nvidia 

Unfortunately, the screen remained black, switching to the terminal did not work either.
i was forced to boot the 5 kernel and roll everything back. It took me an evening. :frowning:
lesson learned
but if anyone has a tip on what I did wrong, maybe I would try again :wink:

:+1:

:-1:

You synced the databases forcibly for no reason, then didn’t update any packages. That puts you in an unsupported partial upgrade state.

After switching branches, always run:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
1 Like

if i get it right
pacman -Syyu
will update the whole system.
My goal is to update only the kernel and nvidia driver.
Shouldn’t it possible?

Indeed.

Sure, if you want to break things. Partial upgrades are not supported.

1 Like

Your goal on a rolling release type distro is to always update the whole system. If you need certain packages kept at previous release, you can place them in the ignore packages section of pacman.conf - but be very careful which packages you ignore, you can mess up your system.

1 Like

ah ok…
well, 90 % no issues seems good enough and i did a timeshift backup.
so, wish me luck :wink:

It is - but you are likely to get issues - oh - and you did.

Perhaps I have been lucky - who knows - but since 2016 I have been running Manjaro unstable branch on all primary systems - I have never had issues worth mentioning.

You get kernels, drivers - all the nice things about Manjaro - and the latest and greatest from Arch - all-in-one package.

sudo pacman-mirrors -aS unstable && sudo pacman -Syyu

What is there not to like?
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

has worked flawlessly, but I was only brave enough to switch on testing :wink:
just minor issues when on wayland (menu icon disappeard in gtk apps, had to restart libvirtd.service to get virt-manager working) but thats for another topic…

Thank you guys :wink:

Is it possible to switch back to the stable branch later on? Or is this a one-way-ticket?

It is, indeed possible, you’re not stuck.

See

1 Like

What is the Manjaro roadmap for issueing the 535.xx nvidia drivers on stable? Will they be available anytime soon?

Probably with the next stable update.

See

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.