How to install multikernel with Nvidia driver?

Hello everyone. I have a question and this problem make confuse to execute it.
I want to try kernel 515 LTS on my laptop, but I have kernel 510 LTS in this machine, VirtualBox dkms, and Nvidia modules too.

If want do it (installing kernel 515 with all modules completely), what should I do? What packages required to do this? Thanks for your reply :pray:t3:

Pict for dessert of this thread

You click on “install” for kernel 5.15.
The Nvidia driver will be installed automatically.
DMKS module: I don´t know.

Then reboot your computer.

2 Likes

Ok, I will try it. For VirtualBox dkms I try too install for 515 version kernel

Hi @anifyuli,

Firstly, I recommend doing it in C.L.I. That way, it’s easier to copy and thus provide any output should it be neccessary, for whatever reason. It’s also easier to copy command here on the forum and run them on your PC.

Secondly, AFAIK any dkms modules should automatically be installed if you do. But to make sure, before rebooting into the new kernel, reinstall them. That will ensure it’s then installed for all kernels. I have 3, so I know.

The same goes for nVidia. Every time I’ve installed a new kernel, it was done automatically for me.

About virtualbox I don’t know for certain, but I think it’ll all be done automatically. Or automagically.

But keep the other one installed, then you can always fall back to it should it be necessary. Also, see:

1 Like

For building modules, what DKMS does, you need the matching kernel headers as well.
Not sure if these get installed automatically along with the kernel - but I don’t think so.
Better check that the matching headers are getting installed and if not take care of it yourself.
VirtualBox modules for supported kernels should be available to install without dkms.

I almost think they are installed if they are installed for your other kernels.

But yes, do that. To make sure the headers are installed for all kernels, before rebooting into the new kernel, run:

pamac install $(pamac list --quiet --installed | grep "^linux[0-9]*[-rt]*$" | awk '{print $1"-headers"}' ORS=' ')
1 Like

Too add to what @Keruskerfuerst said, I suggest you click Show Details - it will show you exactly what modules will be installed.

Ok, everyone. I was install that kernel with pacman from terminal (because failed if install from Manjaro Kernel Manager) and I copy from details on Manjaro Kernel Manager

I checked my instalation with your adviced command @Mirdarthos

[anifyuli@X441UV ~]$ pamac install $(pamac list --quiet --installed | grep "^linux[0-9]*[-rt]*$" | awk '{print $1"-headers"}' ORS=' ')
Preparing...
Warning: linux510-headers-5.10.109-1 is up to date -- skipping
Warning: linux515-headers-5.15.32-1 is up to date -- skipping
Nothing to do.
Transaction successfully finished.

For kernel and it modules is installed completely (I copy few of result pacman -Qv | grep linux and that result mixed with other packages, so I show this for linkages with this topics)

linux510 5.10.109-1
linux510-headers 5.10.109-1
linux510-nvidia 510.60.02-2
linux510-virtualbox-host-modules 6.1.32-19
linux515 5.15.32-1
linux515-headers 5.15.32-1
linux515-nvidia 510.60.02-3
linux515-virtualbox-host-modules 6.1.32-20

Thanks for everyone to help me with gladness. I wish your days full with happiness.

Sorry, my bad English

1 Like