How to install Manjaro on multiple (2) SSDs?

I want to install Manjaro XFCE on my PC. My PC has 2 SSDs, one is 1T and the other 512Gb. I would like to have them… “connected”? OR is that even a thing? How can I do that? How do I even install it on both of them, the GUI usually tells you to specify only one drive

That’s not really correct. If you choose manual partitioning then you can create additional partitions.

Your root filesystem doesn’t need to be any bigger than about 50 GiB ─ which leaves you a lot of headroom. You can then create a second partition on the same or the other drive for /home, which will contain your personal data, as well as other partitions.

What matters in that regard is where you mount those partitions. Mountpoints ─ i.e. directories ─ in the root directory are normally not writable to unprivileged users, so if you want to reserve an extra partition for personal data, then make sure it gets mounted somewhere under your $HOME, e.g. /home/john/data.

1 Like

Okay so basically I can for example just install it one the 1T and mount the 500gig somewhere?

You cannot mount the drive, but you can mount any partition on it, provided that the filesystem type is supported, yes.

For instance, you could create a ~10 GiB partition for /var/cache/pacman/pkg, to contain the packages it downloads during an update, because Manjaro does not delete those packages automatically. I either way advise you to create a separate partition for /home, and you’ll probably want that as big as possible.

Another possibility would be to install the root filesystem and /home on the larger drive, and to use a partition on the smaller drive for backups that you make with timeshifttimeshift doesn’t need for that partition to be mounted; it’ll mount it on the fly when you tell it that’s where you want it to store your backups.

1 Like

Yeah, I think the other drive will be just a trash pile in a sense, for all downloads, vms i dont care about losing, etc etc. Thanks

1 Like

Im trynig to install and I have problem :confused: Could you please try to help me?

@Aragorn

I’ve seen the thread, but you are mentioning LVM. If it were me, I’d remove those LVM volumes before trying to install, but I’m not sure whether the partitioning tool used by Calamares can deal with that. Best would be to use something like a GParted live CD/USB first to clean up your drive and perhaps even create the required partitions.

Please read this:

especially the very first bit and maybe you’ll be hooked to read everything else too…

:wink:

1 Like

Ik heb dat ooit eens helemaal uitgerekend:

dezer dagen zeg is:

24 GB occasionele gebruiker
32 GB lichte gebruiker
48 GB power user
65 GB heavy user.

:innocent:

1 Like
Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1      vfat      511M  544K  511M   1% /boot/efi