How to install Manjaro on AMD raid (or mdadm)

Usually the integrated BIOS “RAID” is not a true RAID, but a software one and it only works on Windows.

Use set the drivers and independent drives in the BIOS and set them up using mdadm, the linux software RAID.

Edit: I noticed you want a RAID0 with 3 SSD drives, which is very unusual and dangerous to your data. If any of the drives fail all your data will be lost. Unless you do a lot of big file transfers, you won’t notice much of a difference compared to using only one drive, without counting benchmarks of course. If what you want is add the capacity of all drives explore other options like LVM or mergefs, so that if one drive fails you only lose the data in that drive.

1 Like

Indeed I might not noticed any noticeable difference, but I think that the odds of an SSD being dead is very low… And if it had to happen, it can still happen to the one I’m using alone (though 1/3 probability).
And in my use case I’m not really concerned about data losses because I’ll still have a backup (not yet implemented) and in any cases I don’t have anything not already synced elsewhere (git, drive, etc.).
I was not aware of LVM (only heard of it) but since it has striping option, it is indeed the option I choose anyway!
And it’s working really great!

Yes, SSDs tend to fail a lot less, but depends on what brand/model you use. Stay away from ADATA and Kingston drives, I’ve seen them fail, and I’ve seen a lot of SSDs on Macs fail.

Stay away from QLC drives and DRAMless drives, even more so from QLC DRAMless drives. The few $$ you save (if any) is not worth it.

1 Like