How to install Linux 6.0 on Manjaro?

Hi guys.

Let me explain, i know there’s no significant change from 5.19 to 6.0 compared to 5.18 to 5.19 or other kernel versions change. My case is a bit special as i am waiting for 6.0 due to problems with my laptops keyboard. It just doesn’t work, and seems like with 6.0 it is solved.

That’s why i ask how to install this new version, even more being a rc. The easiest way would be throught Manjaro own kernel installer but it seems like it will still take some time. So, how could i get this new version installed in my laptop? Thank you :slight_smile:

I would suggest to wait some days, but hey a git archive is already there: Packages / Core / linux60 · GitLab

Happy compiling :wink:

1 Like

i think that’s a way too early. do not expect that there are signficant changes actually they started to work on it. usually rc-kernels are also displayed in the kernel-manager of manjaro and unless they are diplayed there it is fruitless to think about trying.

2 Likes

Did this yesterday

sudo pacman -Syu base-devel git --needed
git clone https://gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/core/linux60
cd linux60
updpkgsums
makepkg -is
$ inxi -S
System:
  Host: tiger Kernel: 6.0.0-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.25.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux
3 Likes

Ok, thank you all :slight_smile:

Btw, do you see a rc as an stable kernel? I mean, could i use it normally? This is because i want to daily use Linux (but as i said before, need the newest kernel possible), but i’m a bit scared xd

What do you think? Anyway, thank you all :slight_smile:

RC kernels should not be seen as stable.

It is unlikely that they break or don’t boot, but it can happen.

rc can mean release-candidate it can also mean rotten-code :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I see… So i may have to wait a bit more to use Linux in this laptop. Anyway, thank you all, you were so helpful :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.