How to install League of Legends on Manjaro under Wine 2018-09

Hello!

League of Legends is a popular MOBA game released in 2009. Despite being almost 10 years old, the game still doesn’t have an official GNU/Linux client.

Through community effort, playing League on Linux has been possible by installing it through Wine.

There are some tutorials available which take advantage of Wine wrappers, such as Lutris or PlayOnLinux. However, due to the frequency the game gets updated and patched, using wrappers constantly breaks game functionality. This guide aims for a stable League installation using only Wine, and assumes you have already set your graphics drivers accordingly.

Step 1: Install wine-staging and winetricks from your favorite package manager.

Step 2: Create and configure a League prefix for Wine by typing the following command on your terminal:

WINEPREFIX=~/.LoL64 winecfg

After a few compilation warnings, winecfg should successfully load.
Click on the graphics tab and make sure “Automatically capture mouse in full screen windows.” checkbox is disabled.

Next, click on the libraries tab and add msvcp140 to the list.

These are compatibility measures to reduce possible game client crashes.

Additionally, if you’re playing on a NVIDIA graphics card, proceed to the staging tab and make sure the “Enable CSMT for better graphic performance (deprecated)” and “Enable VAAPI as backend for DXVA2 GPU decoding” checkboxes are enabled. *

Step 3: Navigate to League of Legends website and download the game installer. I’ll save you some time by direct linking its installer. Keep in mind you’ll need to change the server on this link depending on which server is your account located (NA, EUW, EUE, BR… etc).

Provided you’ve downloaded the installer into your default user folder, install the game (but DO NOT LAUNCH IT AFTER INSTALL YET!) using the following command in terminal:

WINEPREFIX=~/.LoL64 wine ~/Downloads/League\ of\ Legends\ installer\ NA.exe

(remember to change ‘NA’ to your server in case you’re located in another region/server).

Step 4: Install the needed DirectX library for correctly executing League.

WINEPREFIX=~/.LoL64 ./winetricks d3dx9

Step 5: pack the client launch into a firendly binary:

sudo nano /usr/local/bin/lol64

Paste (ctrl+shift+V) the following script into the file:

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=~/.LoL64
wine "C:/Riot Games/League of Legends/LeagueClient.exe"

Save it by hitting ctrl+X, then Y, then Enter. Before we can actually use the script we just created, we must mark it as an executable. Run the following command to do so:

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/lol64

From this point forward, any time you wish to launch League, you simply need to enter this in the terminal:

lol64

Pin it to your panel once you have it executed, or create a desktop shortcut if that’s your flavour:

Make a text document named “League of Legends.desktop”, open it, and paste in the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=League of Legends
Exec=env lol64
Icon=4FC3_LeagueClient.0
Categories=Game;

Open a terminal and run the following command. The text document should then act like a normal desktop shortcut.

chmod +x ~/Desktop/League\ of\ Legends.desktop

That’s it. Now go feed games or carry your team the victory in Summoner’s Rift. :smiley:

*Optionally, you can try to make OpenGL rendering (which in theory would lead to higher FPS rates), but I tried to make it work during several installs and configurations on my GTX 1050 Ti and it was a real pain for the little gain around.

Cheers,

8 Likes

Have you tried getting it to run with DXVK instead of the CSMT patch?
DXVK should net a great deal of performance compared to regular.

But it will only work if the game has some form of DX11 rendering. I have no idea if LoL has that.

Try the “wine to rule them all” till proton replaces it. Yes, I love TK-Glitch’s repo.
https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/tree/master/wine-tkg-git

2 Likes

I will try this, when Manjaro 18 comes out, but right now I use lutris. I had to install all of the optional dependencies for League to get into the summoners rift. Which of the optional dependencies have you installed on your system?

Which optional dependencies do you speak of?

snap install leagueoflegends --edge --devmode

That's it now. Game is working in Dev mode but it's better anyways like that.

Peace!

1 Like

tried to follow the installation guide. the game wouldn't install until i install openal library (sudo pacman -S openal) and add xaudio2_2.dll to the libraries list in winecfg (WINEPREFIX=~/.LoL64 winecfg etc). just saying.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: bash: ./winetricks: No such file or directory

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark