How to install intel graphics

I am a user who came from ubuntu. To install the intel graphics drivers we install the intel graphics update tool from 01.org. It detects the drivers that you need and update those that you have. So i downloaded the source and compiled it, but when i wantet to run it, it said “disto not suported”. So is there a way to fake it like im on ubuntu (emulate or make manjaro look like ubuntu for this app).
Or is there some entirely other way. I saw the manjaro hardware detection tool, and it said that it had installed something (idk what, but it also gave me the option to install something else, it was something like mesa/vesa, i cant remenber because i went back to ubuntu and dont have the tool at hand.) i installed that too and when i rebooted i got some xorg errors and the desktop enviroment wouldn’t start.
So how do i know what i need? Because if i knew i would easily install it from pacman (the reason i wanted to try manjaro). English is not my native language, so exuse me if my grammar isn’t perfect.
[My processor: Intel Celeron N2940]

Hi
I think you are a bit confused as to what the intel drivers are. Intel open-sources their drivers so they are made available without intervention. That is - they are recognized by the kernel already and then are handled in our case by xorg through xf86-video-intel & by mesa. What you used to do in ubuntu at 01.org was [as per their own description]

This tool aims to make the latest Intel® Graphics Stack available before it gets officially released by Linux* OS vendors. Specifically, it benefits those Linux* users of both Ubuntu* and Fedora* distributions who want to update their graphics subsystems for Intel® platforms.

They say ‘specifically’ because in the case of those distros - you are often held back by their releases on old versions of intel’s updates. Not so much on Arch/Manjaro where we are rolling. See the package here:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/xf86-video-intel/
where it states the upstream url as … 01.org :wink:
where on 01.org currently the version is “xf86-video-intel - 2.99.917” and my current version on Testing Branch is “2.99.917+746”
… long and short. You shouldnt have to do anything.

video-intel is the normal one to use

As for your problems -
Can you get to a command prompt ? If so you can re-enable video-intel with

sudo mhwd -i pci video-intel 

But you can do some more reading on the arch wiki about intel
[remember not everything applies to manjaro]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics

Also I notice you have a bay trail processor so see this thread:
Intel Bay Trail Freezes & The Linux Kernel

1 Like

@cscs thank you for your reply. Now i understand it.
I have just one more quesion. When i tried manjaro, the laptop got very warm (compared to ubuntu) even tho i was just watching youtube videos. Thats why i thought its a driver problem. Since it isn’t, any idea why the processor is warmer in manjaro (i do the intel_idle.max_cstate=1 in ubuntu to, otherwise the system freezes)?
(just for curiosity what is ‘mesa’ , if you dont mind explaining).

If you can try 4.9 it might work for you without the cstate workaround as it does for me.

“Mesa is an open-source implementation of the OpenGL, Vulkan and other specifications. Its most important user surfacing parts are the two graphics drivers mostly developed and funded by Intel and AMD”

…as for getting warm, I would recommend tlp/thermald setup and maybe even a few other things on this thread :

I have XFCE and bay trail too, so if you want I could post a few more tips that I use.

You have right talking about UPDATE Xorg Intel Drivers based on 01.org repository in Fedora or Ubuntu.

Manjaro Linux based on Arch Linux ROLLING updates system. That mean you must be connected to Internet and waiting for updates (octopi-notifier daemon care on it).

Ubuntu following Debian and indeed after some weeks some packages in current released/frozen versioning are OUT-OF-DATE (exceptions are serious CVE security patches).

In short words Mesa 3D Project cares about X Graphics Stock Drivers (OpenGL).
COMPARE
In Windows You have

DirectX > WDF (Windows Driver Frameworks) > Windows NT kernel > Hardware

In Linux Distros You have

Mesa (OpenGL) (i915/i965 libs) > xf86-video-intel (i965 libs) (Xorg Drivers layer) > i915 module for Intel GPU Hardware, DRM (Direct Rendering Manager)

NOTE: Lastest Intel Chipsets required LASTEST releases kernel and most recent mesa/xorg drivers.

NOTE: Intel slow down developing Xorg driver from several years. Only mainainers of packages made updates based on lastest GIT snapshot.
See:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?qt=grep&q=i915
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/

AMD and NVIDIA provides CLOSED sources binary BLOB DRIVER for Linux (DRM + OpenGL + Xorg)

In short: IF you have an Intel GPU, you don’t need to worry about updates.

4 Likes

Hello,

I have problem with Intel graphic card on HD videos. Unfortunately my notebook’s specs low and Intel driver can not render HD videos. How to solve that problem.

PC situation is;

inxi -Fx

Resuming in non X mode: xrandr not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System: Host: lenovo Kernel: 4.9.51-1-MANJARO i686 bits: 32 gcc: 7.2.0
Desktop: N/A Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 4187KW1 v: Lenovo serial: N/A
Mobo: Lenovo model: Kuril v: Rev 1.0 serial: N/A
BIOS: LENOVO v: 14CNA0WW date: 10/11/2010
Battery BAT0: charge: 0.0 Wh 0.0% condition: 26.3/27.8 Wh (95%)
model: Celxpert LE30_C status: N/A
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (-HT-)
arch: Bonnell rev.2 cache: 512 KB
flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3193
clock speeds: max: 1600 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: N/A drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting)
tty size: 80x24
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.51-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Broadcom Limited NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCIE
driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 00:23:8b:82:8b:6a
Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
driver: wl bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: 00:23:4e:de:d6:ef
Drives: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (7.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: HITACHI_HTS54321 size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 141G used: 5.9G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 5.21GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 139 Uptime: 27 min Memory: 498.5/995.0MB
Init: systemd Gcc sys: 7.2.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.39

It would be better if you started a new topic with your problems and that printout :slight_smile:

1 Like

@cscs Hi, I have a Coffee Lake intel card, which Gentoo Wiki lists as i965. So if I see some documentation telling me to put something like

options i915 enable_guc=2

in modprob.d, do you know if it actually needs to be

options i965 enable_guc=2

instead?

Does WebGL work in Firefox for anyone here when using Intel graphics? I have Intel+Nvidia, but desktop is on Intel mode right now, and Firefox can not load any WebGL content in this mode, only in Nvidia mode.

@trusktr I am sorry I did not already lock this topic. It was already necro'd after 9months ... way back 3 years ago after which you necro'd it again. Please dont do that. Start a new topic if you need.

Forum kindly sponsored by