Software for recording who is using my device

Hi,
I am living in a dormitory with 4 roommates and I tend to leave my laptop unlocked when I go out to grab a bite or something like that and one of my roommates(I don’t know who) often go ahead and mess with my work or post something ‘funny’ on social networks. Neither of them want to confess thinking that it is funny.
My question is: is there some software that can, for example, lock keyboard while screen is active(just forbidding using keyboard) and record via webcam who is trying to use my device so that I can finally catch the culprit?

Thanks.

Lock the device.

While there’s no doubt the action of your ‘friend’ is questionable - your reaction is as questionable. You should lock the device.

6 Likes

Hello,

Set a password for your user and a lock screen timer, so when you go out, or you do not touch the laptop for 10-20 minutes it locks itself.

2 Likes

Undisclosed and secretive spying (with a cam) on others not knowing it is illegal in most countries and will land you in jail sooner or later.
The solution for you is mentioned by others. Lock your device.

2 Likes

Probably some malware, though you likely won’t be the one getting the feed.

:point_up:
For now it’s just your roommates messing with you. If you leave your system unlocked in your absence at work, someone ill-intentioned can sabotage and make you take the credit…
Better getting used to lock your system whenever you leave it unattended. It takes one second and a lot less worries.

3 Likes

Why does the screen need to stay on?
It’s like laying out bait and then (not really) wondering why someone actually took it
or saying:
don’t mess with it but doing everything to make them try nonetheless …

Lock the device.
close the lid if it’s a laptop, put it to sleep or suspend it, requiring a password to access it again.

… or set up a surveillance system and get in trouble real fast in a hurry :wink:

Was this a serious question?
It sounds a bit like a troll question - or confirmation that common sense is actually not very common.

3 Likes
  1. Go to your local sports/camping store and purchase a large fishing net. (The kind used out in the ocean, for commercial fishing trips.)

2. Leave the laptop unlocked, with a single folder named "Embarrassing Photos" in plain sight, in the center of your screen.

3. Hide in the closet with your fishing net, but make sure to keep the door barely cracked open so you can peek and see where the laptop sits on your table.

4. Wait. Breathe slowly. Calm your nerves.

5. The moment you hear or sense any movement or sound, YOU FREAKING LEAP OUT OF THAT CLOSET LIKE JAGUAR AND CATCH THAT SUCKER IN THE FISHING NET.

6. Scream at the top of your lungs (while pointing at the malicious intruder): “I’ve finally got you, you son of a [expletive]!” (Young kids read this forum.)

7. Hold your head up high, for the mystery is over. You’ve earned it, champ. :+1:

This DIY solution does not require…

• …any complex software
  • …any cameras or webcams
  • …any security systems or sensors
  • …any costly tools (no need to buy the most expensive net)

Or you can just do that.

9 Likes

If you use the laptop as easy mobility, I would recommend that its disk should be encrypted with LUKS.
Theft would steal your laptop but can’t see your data.

I heard that someone :ninja: stole victim’s laptop in our office and could see all data in unencrypted disk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.