How to install anbox on manjaro?

I should mention that I’m trying this on Manjaro ARM. I don’t have snap installed and I think anbox snaps are for x86_64 only.

@Strit, do you think you can build a 5.8.10-2 with CONFIG_SQUASHFS_DECOMP_MULTI=y? Currently, the single threaded squashfs decompressor seems to slow everything down. Thanks

I can try giving it a whirl. :slight_smile:

5.8.10-2 just uploaded to arm-unstable. With CONFIG_SQUASHFS_DECOMP_MULTI enabled.

1 Like

That did it! Thanks! Anbox starts within seconds now. Let’s see how usable it is now…

2 Likes

Is it possible to run anbox on RPI4 arm64 using the image from manjaro repo? How do you edit the kernel? After installing anbox through the repo, anbox will load but not open.

You would need to recompile the kernel, enabling some ANDROID, ASHMEM and BINDER stuff in the config. I don’t think those are enabled in our rpi4 kernel. @darksky can confirm for me.

I apologise, I am new to manjaro. I searched on google and found that there was a GUI tool to manjaro system manager. Though I did not see the kernel option in it. Does the KDE for Rpi4 not include those settings in the GUI? Is there another way?

It’s on a kernel level, so you can’t just “enable” it in a GUI. It needs to be enabled in the kernel at compile time.

I compiled our linux-rpi-4-mainline kernel 5.8.9-2 with all of the modules that was referred to in above arch anbox wiki and what @nightmare-2021 has here:

config.anbox

I wanted to test it but I have no clue how to go about it. I am not even sure the package in the repo anbox-image-aarch64 is the right image as I believe it is for the pinephone from looking at the image that gets mounted and it’s contents.

It would be extremely helpful if some one gave some steps in this thread for others on how they got it working on the aarch64 other than saying they got it to work.

Kernel I compiled with it’s headers (I am not going to push it to the repo until I know it works):

UPDATED:

Link has been removed. I push all new kernels for the pi4 with kernel version bump and android modules enabled to the unstable branch.

I can confirm that the kernel I compiled and gave a link above for the pi4 does work. My main obstacle was I did not know how to start anbox. I was trying to do it from the command line with out knowing there was pre-configured commands associated with anbox in it’s link in the Menu’s.

In testing I installed a lot of programs and most would crash so I am not very impressed with it so far. Maybe things will get better down the road.

Does this kernel work on the pinebook pro as well or would that be a separate mirror?

No. That kernel was for the RPi. (It is now in the unstable branch as a side note).

I believe the latest kernel for the pbp in the testing branch has the android modules enabled. It will have the same kernal name you are using but higher version. @Strit can correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

If you decide to play with it I put together some steps to get it going here for another member:

Set up anbox

@nightmare-2021 Not working on 5.9 Kernel for me. Has it not been implemented yet?

anbox launch --package=org.anbox.appmgr --component=org.anbox.appmgr.AppViewActivity
[ 2020-10-22 17:26:07] [daemon.cpp:61@Run] [org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown] The name org.anbox was not provided by any .service files

Have a look yourself in GitLab - there are the packages to look up :wink:

It’s included into the Kernel-build via config.android and should work same as in 5.8

So I have to recompile the Kernel every time? I don’t really understand what to make of this

CONFIG_ASHMEM=y
# CONFIG_ION is not set
CONFIG_ANDROID=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDERFS=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_DEVICES="binder,hwbinder,vndbinder"
# CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC_SELFTEST is not set

When I looks at the PKGBUILD, I see that config.anbox is already included. So everything should already be set, but it doesn’t work for me. With kernel 5.6 it does

Found the solution. I had to mount the binderfs

throws an error:

mount: /dev/binderfs: unknown filesystem type ‘binder’.

run

$ zgrep -i -e android -e ashmem /proc/config.gz

and post output

zgrep -i -e android -e ashmem /proc/config.gz
# Android
# end of Android
# Android
# CONFIG_ANDROID is not set
# end of Android

Snap store also doesn’t launch, is this related?

snap-store
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.locale” has path “/system/locale/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/
system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy” has path “/system/proxy/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/sy
stem/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.http” has path “/system/proxy/http/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop
/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.https” has path “/system/proxy/https/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/deskt
op/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.ftp” has path “/system/proxy/ftp/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/”
or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.socks” has path “/system/proxy/socks/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/deskt
op/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
02:26:28:0606 Gtk Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
02:26:28:0712 Gtk Failed to load module “colorreload-gtk-module”
02:26:29:0123 Gs enabled plugins: odrs, rewrite-resource, snap, icons, key-colors, key-colors-metadata
02:26:29:0123 Gs disabled plugins: appstream, desktop-categories, desktop-menu-path, dpkg, dummy, fedora-langpacks, f
edora-pkgdb-collections, fwupd, generic-updates, hardcoded-blacklist, hardcoded-popular, modalias, os-release, package
kit, packagekit-history, packagekit-local, packagekit-offline, packagekit-proxy, packagekit-refine, packagekit-refine-
repos, packagekit-refresh, packagekit-upgrade, packagekit-url-to-app, provenance, provenance-license, repos, systemd-u
pdates

02:27:30:0750 Gs /etc/PackageKit/Vendor.conf file not found
02:27:30:0967 Pango pango_font_get_hb_font: assertion ‘PANGO_IS_FONT (font)’ failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

what kernel are you running?

its 5.4.77-1

Should i change it(from Add/Remove software)? I am not very familiar with linux…